Borrowed Neutrals

What if there are no filament lamps in the house?
Huh?

mine are all CLF's or FL's.. so are my mothers.
Are you asserting that FLs and CFLs have no pre-strike continuity?

Who wants to go round and switch every single light on?
Well, apparently you want to - you proposed a test procedure in which you switch them on twice.

I don't understand your question.
very handy that.
Is there some reason for you being sarcastic?

I missed one word off and sudenly you don't comprehend?
I missed the word "You're" off the front.
Nothing sudden happened at all - I just didn't understand.

For your benefit I'll ask again.

You're claiming that 2 neutrals are interconnected if they have to go through 2 lamps to do it?
That looks just like a question that I answered earlier, but for your benefit I'll answer again:

Of course. What else does the word "interconnected" mean?

Sponsored Links
Goldberg said:
Are you asserting that FLs and CFLs have no pre-strike continuity?

Fluorescent lamps with conventional starters do not have pre-strike continuity. The starter is a gas discharge lamp in series with a (normally closed) bimetal switch and it will read open circuit on most meters.

Electronic starters are different and might give a brief indication of continuity as their internal PSU capacitors charge up. I must try one some time. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Fluorescent lamps with conventional starters do not have pre-strike continuity. The starter is a gas discharge lamp in series with a (normally closed) bimetal switch and it will read open circuit on most meters.
I did not know that.

In that case my suggestion won't work in all circumstances, so it's no good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back