Bosch 14.4v charger question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just acquired ( legally from a clearance not the back of a lorry) a Bosch charger and battery. The charger is numbered AL 1404 7.2v-14.4v and the battery is a 1.5 ah ni cad .
I haven't got any Bosch gear so I'm unsure of how it should work . When I plug it in a green light appears ( only been plugged in a minute so far) and stays on. Does the light flash when it's charged? I'm not too sure of the battery although both look to be pretty unused . I could test it with a voltmeter as I suppose after an hour it should be up to 14 volts or more. Any advice or information welcome.

Sponsored Links
any battery charging in an hour will be around 20% over rated voltage or around 17v

Cheers , that's what I had in mind. Do you happen to know the details of the charger light , on continuously , flashing or does it flash quicker if the battery is damaged , that sort of thing?

Sponsored Links
I far as I can tell there's only one light on the charger and that appears to be only green .
It's been that long since I've used a Bosch drill ( old squarish 14.4volt jobbies) that I just can't remember .

blinking should be charging
rapid blinking faulty battery
green charged
i would have thought

Well it's been plugged in for an hour and in all that time the light just stayed on. To be honest I expected a flashing light . As far as I understand the battery could have been sat doing nothing for three years or more so hardly likely to have any charge in it. I'll have to dig out my tester and check the voltage.

I've just found the same charger on eBay and have asked the question to the seller . Hopefully they won't think I'm being too cheeky and will give me a definitive answer.

don't know about that charger, but my bosch chargers are flashing green=charging, solid green=charged.
Some of the older chargers just had a light to indicate that a charge current is flowing and with them not being intelligent chargers, the current continues to flow, the only way to tell the battery was charged was when it started to warm up, some of those old chargers had a 3 to 5 hour charge time depending on the battery capacity.
With it being a ni-cad I would suspect that this might not be an intelligent charger also the battery probably won't reach full capacity until a few charge/discharge cycles have been carried out.

Thanks both. I've been doing a bit more searching on the net and most of that seems to tie in with chappers post. It appears the light is just green and on with no flashing or whatever to indicate charging or charged or faulty. Seems to be something of a design fault in my eyes. As I mentioned i don't have Bosch gear so the charger and battery are likely to go on eBay , it's all extra income after all, and I always like to describe accurately as far as possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back