Bosch 10.8v VS Makita 10.8v Drill? Which one for electrician?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after an early xmas gift for my Dad who's an Electrician, looking for a small/very compact unit which still got plenty of power, he got some very old makita 14.4v makita ni-cad drill ,not sure what kind of power that one has but certainly nothing good..

He just needs it for light tasks and for putting holes in to junction boxes and stuff like that,nothing really that hardcore and needs something very compact which can fit in to places, is very lightweight and has a nice light.

So I have been looking at the bosch 10.8v stuff
http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bosch-gsb-10-8-2-li-cordless-combi-drill-body-only
£37 for it sounds very sweet deal as well,

I dismissed makita before as they had very little torque ratings, but I saw they now have new CXT Range drills which have more or less the same ratings as for the bosch + I found very nice blackfriday deal for a drill/impact driver, battery,charger,box for just £108
http://www.powertools2u.co.uk/Black...-2x2.0Ah-Li-ion-Drill-+-Impact-Driver-Kit.htm

however at least from the online images those tools look rather large and not as compact as the bosch ones?

I have never seen either of the tools in flesh so I have no idea about their actual sizes or which one is more compact, however I saw that at some forums people said that the bosch 10.8v stuff is kinda cheaply made and the makita is much more durable, and after prelonged use the bosch has worn more than the makita stuff. but that was just some stuff I saw at one place, so who knows...

Maybe anyone have tried both of the brand tools and can comment on which one is better? I'm slightly leaning towards the bosch only because of the nicer form factor, but I would like to buy something that will last him for a while as well and will be a better tool overall..

Sponsored Links
You did notice that deal for the Bosch doesn't include the battery and charger didn't you? That aside, I have that Bosch drill/driver, and it's very nice to use. For really heavy work I have an 18V Makita, but for most things the Bosch is adequate.

Impact driver for holing joists or a corded one for a £10.00 with 1 years warranty on it, straight swap for new instead of repair. Then you can give it some wellington!

You did notice that deal for the Bosch doesn't include the battery and charger didn't you? That aside, I have that Bosch drill/driver, and it's very nice to use. For really heavy work I have an 18V Makita, but for most things the Bosch is adequate.
I have a charger and few spare 10.8v bosch batteries I can give away, so don't need that stuff :)
I do have top of the range makita 18v stuff myself, but my Dad thinks that my large 18v makita drill is too heavy and cumbersome for his type of stuff ( it actually is) and the 18v impact driver too loud, for the heavy stuff he got some tools as well to cover everything he needs, but he doesn't have a compact/small one and 99% of his needs would be covered by one , so I need only something very compact and small yet something that still got nice power.

Sponsored Links
Impact driver for holing joists or a corded one for a £10.00 with 1 years warranty on it, straight swap for new instead of repair. Then you can give it some wellington!
For some reason he doesn't likes impact drivers ( too loud..) and I have never seen him actually using one even he got access so would be just a waste of £££ ,nah corded is no option.

My mate has that 10.8v drill for his little odd job, cone cutter drill etc. It won't be drilling holes in joists or anything but it just about copes with a 20mm hole in thin steel.

I wouldn't bother with one personally, but I think he's of the same mindset as your dad, whereas I'll happily use my 18v makita for every little and big job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back