Bosch Classixx 1200 Express - Tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

i'm new to the forum, wonder if someone can help...

I've got a Bosch Classixx 1200 Express [E-NR WF02467GB/15] [FD 8511 606713]

I use the machine maybe 2/3 times a week and a few months ago halfway through a standard 30/40 degree mixed wash the RCD in my house fuse box tripped.

Upon breaker reset the machine came back on and attempted to continue it's cycle. The machine ran for maybe a few minutes and tripped the breaker out again.

It did this for a few days and we took the back off to have a look at anything "obvious".

Unfortunately the internals are sealed into separate units and we couldn't really open them up without stripping the machine apart. We managed to get the unit to perform a full spin cycle, the motor ran perfectly and reached full rpm. We also got a 1minute drain cycle to run fine aswell.

For some reason it started working again for a few months then last night it tripped the breaker out again. Upon reset, the unit resumed it's cycle, the initial relay (in the main front panel unit) clicked in and the cycle continued but the second the next relay clicked in the breaker tripped and everytime we reset the breaker tripped again.

I have no problem with car electrics but hate household electrics and to be honest i'm not really sure where to start.

Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot guys.

Sponsored Links
Typical causes of RCD tripping are

Door interlock (Blows and will not work afterwards)
Heating element (shorting out to earth sometimes blows rcd then will behave after being allowed to dry) can cause machine to trip only when called to heat which is typically part way through the programme
Motor (typically does it all the time)
Wiring short (intermittent fault as the damaged wire touches the appliance occasionally)

I don't know about appliances

I reckon Leccy758 probably has it right with the heating element

but it might also be water leak getting onto electrical part, or a damaged flex, e,g, if the machine has been put on top of it or a mouse has gnawed it.

Look at the flex, plug and socket first as they are so easy to inspect.

You might also have a general background earth leakage on that circuit which the machine is adding to just enough to reach the tripping point.

Earth leakages are most often found on watery appliances like kettles, immersion heaters, tea urns, electric irons, boilers; and those with heating elements (the same lot but also ovens), and those exposed to rain such as outside lamps and shed circuits.

Hmmm...

could be the fact I do have my garage circuit running off the same plug and the armoured cabling I've used does go outside.

Thanks for the heads up, least now I have some info to give to my friend when he attempts to remedy the problem and save me a few quid.

Sponsored Links
tripping rcd with washing machine - new element £28 all sorted thanks to all posting

When I brought my new Bosch Classix 7KG WAE24368GB machine just over a year ago I researched the market thoroughly to ensure I got the ' most officially recommended 96% reliability' machine on the market at the time. I am now thoroughly not enjoying the same 'tripping' fault as several other people on this forum. (All providing excellent tips for resolving the problem, thank you!). I am wondering how many more people are experiencing this problem? My first washing machine was an Ariston brought in 2004- still going, never had a fault (Much to mother's delight)! I'm now on my third machine, which has had average & sensible use and I'm starting to think it will be cheaper to buy clothes and dispose of them? Considering most warranties incur the cost of a new machine, isn't it about time manufacturers supplied products that actually work for a sensible duration? I'm going to try some of the great suggestions and if no success, then I'm thinking consumer law is my next move as I am absolutely sick to death of shoddy products which are clearly neither the cheapest or most reliable on the market!

Hi , the RCD forms part of the mains electrical supply fuse switch box it looks no more than 5 years old (entire unit) and was electrically tested in the last year. I also changed the machine, plug,and fuse, then tested the machine on a different household circuit using an extension lead with built in RCD. The main supply still tripped out. I managed to drain the machine using mini hose next to filter and get the door open by changing the programme and not pressing start. I got the washing out of it-so huge thanks to the person who mentioned how to do this and thanks for the reply. I'm thinking heater, loose wiring or motor issue possibly? Going to have another go at it Monday, initially with Leccy's comment in respect of the heater element as this fits the case scenario.

is it one RCD for the whole house?

have you got any non-rcd sockets?

did the rcd in the extension lead trip?

have you got the rcd test results in writing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back