Bosch Dishwasher - often stops when filling, bangs then stops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought I'd found a cause, or at least a symptom, with my G1143sc dishwasher which usually stops soon after the cycle starts. The attached video shows the problem, water starts to fill, then it stops and a banging noise is heard:

I've kept the video short so it shows the fault happening only twice. The red Inlet / drain light flashes exactly six times, then a solid red light shows then this pattern repeats itself every 10 seconds. In the video, the banging noise can be heard at 1 second and 11 seconds. This repeats itself many times until either the machine somehow gets through it and works, or it stops completely.

I had thought I'd found a "solution". That is, before the machine started, I used a cup and turkey baster to remove all residual water; the drain sump by the non-return valve is always full after a complete wash cycle. Using this method, the machine worked fine. But now, the same issue repeats itself, even if I've previously emptied the drain sump.

I've seen suggestions that the non-return valve. So I await that part from UK Whitegoods and although I don't know if replacing the NRV will help as it shows no obvious sign of wear or worn rubbers. But I'll replace it anyway.

The impeller doesn't "spin" when flicked with my finger although it does move and click - presumably there is a kind of ratchet mechanism - but nevertheless it turns without much difficulty.

I've had two independent engineers who both appeared to fix the problem but only temporarily - without replacing any parts. And the fault has soon come back.

Any ideas on what I can try next would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
SOLVED: I removed (only the) top and LH side machine covers, replaced the Miele "Board Flowmeter", Miele Part number 5 544 031. Ignore the numbers printed on the part. The part is connected to 2 oranges wires and is readily visible and accessible with the side cover removed. Over time, the part may stick. So although tapping it may provide a temporary fix, it wasn't a durable solution. Replacing the part and the DW now works fine.

Confusingly, the part is called by several different names including - Board Flowmeter (Miele's name for it), Reed switch, Flow Meter Circuit Board and Water Level Board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back