Bosch dishwasher tripping the house fuse ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The dishwasher seems to start to wash OK but when it heats up on the
50 oC cycle it trips out the main switch in the fusebox.
I tried a wash at a lower temp 30oC and it completed a full cycle.I also tried a rinse only cycle and that was fine.
Any ideas before I get my tools out and waste time ?
Thanks.

The only model numbers/letters on the appliance are Bosch en.

Sponsored Links
my superhuman powers tell me the "main switch in the fusebox" is an RCD.

What are all the letters and numbers written on it, and does it have a "T" or "Test" button?

Do you think the tripping occurs when the heating element switches on?

Is there any sign of water leaking onto electrical parts?

You may find thereis a problem with the heater box going down to earth.

my superhuman powers tell me the "main switch in the fusebox" is an RCD.

What are all the letters and numbers written on it,
Do you think the tripping occurs when the heating element switches on?

Is there any sign of water leaking onto electrical parts?

32B1N B32---Both these are on the RCD ?
I do think it trips when the heating element switches on but wasn't sure as it only occured at the higher temp.
As for water leakage ,there are no obvious signs around the machine and as yet I haven't looked inside as I thought asking on here first might save me time.

Sponsored Links
Are those all the letters and numbers writted on it? no "T" or "Test" button?

then it's not an RCD. Or a main switch. Or a fuse.

Is it 18mm wide, or 36mm or 54mm?

A photo would be a great help.

What other circuits and appliance lose power when it trips?

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

On a Bosch dishwasher, identification label is usually found on the top edge of the door.

The 'trip out' is the one labelled 'garage'. When it trips ,all the other appliances in the kitchen and sockets switch off aswell (lighting is OK).
Tried the dishwasher again and its worked fine a couple of times but does still go back to 'tripping off'.
A mate had a washing machine with the same problem and the cause was slugs living in it !!!!!!
a002.jpg

a001.jpg

wow! It is not an RCD, it is an MCB.

Unless it is faulty (GET is a budget brand) it will trip when the current drawn exceeds the rating, which is 32Amps. the greater the overload, the faster it will trip.

The cause is probably that you have other appliances on that circuit drawing a heavy load. the maximum load on your dishwasher is hen the heatig element comes on, but it is less than half the current needed to trip that MCB.

typically: Tumble drier, washing machine, oven, growing lamps, electric heater. Things that should not be on that circuit but might be: Electric shower, electric cooker, immersion heater, sauna, storage heaters.

Observe what stops working when the circuit goes off.

The fact that the label is inaccurate suggests to me that something has been altered since it was installed, e,g, an electric shower has been added, and other circuits have been crammed into that one MCB causing an overload. Show us the other circuit labels.

You ought to have accurate labels in case of an emergency or repair. you can make your own label with some sticky vinyl tape and a permanent marker pen. Do not use green tape or red tape because those colours have a particular meaning on Consumer Unit labels and you might get it wrong.

The washing machine, electric oven, all sockets in the kitchen + garage go out. None of these things are on (only plugged in) when the dishwasher goes off.
Will relabel where required (never noticed the wrong labelling e.g cooker)
a006.jpg

so what do the "sockets" and "cooker" MCBs do?

The kitchen is a converted basement (converted after fuse ? box installed) so the 'sockets' label is for the rest of the house. Don't know what the 'cooker' does. Cant find out yet as the wife is watching TV.

This doesn't help your original problem, but the garage and kitchen sockets should be on the RCD protected side of the board. The cooker doesn't have to be so you should really get an electrician in to swap these over. You could do it yourself as long as you did it before January 2005.

Not yet fixed it, so am using the cooler setting. Thing is, the MCB has now started to trip when none of the kitchen appliances are switched on. Has done it 3 times since starting this post ??

You may find the capacitor at rear of the appliance is faulty (usually scorch mark around where supply enters) or your total earth leakage on the circuit is greater than the amount specified on breaker.(more than 30Mamps)

I don't believe this one is on an RCD.

Another possibility is damaged cable e.g. mice or nail.

... the MCB has now started to trip when none of the kitchen appliances are switched on.
unplug them, don't rely on a switch. Also inspect flexes for damage and look for scorching, cracks etc on sockets and switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back