Bosch Exxcel Dishwasher Problem pulsing/banging water inlet

A

abdef

I have an 20 month old silver Bosch Exxcel dishwasher.

I bought it secondhand for £50 and when I firt got it and used it, it was not heating the water up and it was making my water inlet pipe pulse and bang.

I opened it up and there was water in the tray underneath, so I drained it(laid it backwards) and left it overnight. It ran fine for a few months.

Recently the pulsing/banging of my water pipe came back and it leaked water, possibly because the water was not getting pumped away. Again I drain it off by tilting it all the way back.

Last night, the pluse/banging of water pipe returned so I switched it off (heater is working and no leak).

When the machine is working fine, the pipes do not make any noise whatsoever.

Does anyone have nay idea what could be the problem with my machine before I think about getting a repair man in. I am very DIY friendly and can tackle most jobs, but have no experience with dishwashers.

I think it is worth repairing considering the small amount I paid for it.

Sponsored Links
Normally caused by the inlet valve. Replace this and it should be fine.

Inlet valve?

By that do you mean something in the dishwasher or the blue tap from my cold water feed?

Literally the same problem with mine which the repair man fixed today.
Noisy banging of pipes (pulsing) as it filled. It had been getting worse and worse until it finally got to the point where I couldn't stand it any longer.

The fix, to mine at least, was the impellor sensor unit. This small unit sits immediately after the inlet valve at the base of the machine. It consists of an impellor which rotates when the valve opens and water flows into the machine. Within the unit is a electromagnetic sensor that feeds regular electronic pulses to the computer in the machine and basically measures flow rate and, I guess, how much water is in the machine. Anyway, it was changed and all is now 100% perfect.

Sponsored Links
I have a Bosch Exxcel Dishwasher which was just out of it's 2 yr warranty and the water inlet pipe start banging or pulsing then after a few minutes, the "check water light" came on.

I checked out the obvious things like the water was on and that the filter in the inlet hose wasn't clogged but was all ok. I knew the water inlet valve was ok as water was entering the machine.

Located just after the water inlet valve is an "Impeller Jug" which must sense the water flow into the machine. I replaced this and the machine is working perfectly.

The part was very easy to fit. Switch off water supply, unplug the appliance. Remove the top cover by releasing two clips at the rear and pull backwards. Remove the left hand side cover which is secured by two screws just inside the door. Un clip the plate on the back where the water inlet is fed through. On the left side you will see a clear water matrix with various pipes coming out of the bottom. Unclip the third hose from the left and remove both the water inlet valve and the impeller jug in one through the rear of the machine. Unplug the electrical connector from the impeller Jug, unclip the hoses and remove. Replace the jug with a new one ensuring that the directional arrow on the jug is pointing away from the water inlet valve and this denotes the water flow direction. Reconnect and fit using the reverse of the above procedure. I got my spare impeller jug from www.espares.co.uk
It cost less than £20 delivered. The part number is 424099 and I believe that it is the same part used on Siemens and Neff dishwashers also

I have a Bosch Exxcel Dishwasher which was just out of it's 2 yr warranty and the water inlet pipe start banging or pulsing then after a few minutes, the "check water light" came on.

I checked out the obvious things like the water was on and that the filter in the inlet hose wasn't clogged but was all ok. I knew the water inlet valve was ok as water was entering the machine.

Located just after the water inlet valve is an "Impeller Jug" which must sense the water flow into the machine. I replaced this and the machine is working perfectly.

The part was very easy to fit. Switch off water supply, unplug the appliance. Remove the top cover by releasing two clips at the rear and pull backwards. Remove the left hand side cover which is secured by two screws just inside the door. Un clip the plate on the back where the water inlet is fed through. On the left side you will see a clear water matrix with various pipes coming out of the bottom. Unclip the third hose from the left and remove both the water inlet valve and the impeller jug in one through the rear of the machine. Unplug the electrical connector from the impeller Jug, unclip the hoses and remove. Replace the jug with a new one ensuring that the directional arrow on the jug is pointing away from the water inlet valve and this denotes the water flow direction. Reconnect and fit using the reverse of the above procedure. I got my spare impeller jug from www.espares.co.uk
It cost less than £20 delivered. The part number is 424099 and I believe that it is the same part used on Siemens and Neff dishwashers also

This is a great how to guide. My dishwasher was not getting enough water so the sprayer arms were not spinning. Bought the impellor jug followed the above fitting instructions (20min job) and hey presto it seems to be working again. If you have the same problem it is definitely worth trying this (only £20) before calling anyone out.

Ok so I was a bit hasty. The dishwasher sounded as if it was filling properly but the dishes were still coming out covered in residue. The upper arm was still not spinning indicating the machine was not getting enough water. A bit more searching found this thread

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=78737&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

sleepyhead came up with the solution "Feed pipe from water matrix to the sump of the dishwasher is partially blocked and it's underfilling...."

The feed pipe is the corrugated pipe on the far right coming out the bottom of the pressure chamber assembly. On my bosch I couldn't remove the pipe completely to flush it as sleephead suggested as I couldn't easily get into it. But I could take the near end (the one going into the pressure chamber assembly) out and clean the gunk (there was lots of it and it smelled bad) out with a toothbrush. I also cleaned in the inside of the pressure chamber assembly where I had disconnected the pipe as much as I could with the toothbrush. Then pushed the hose back into the pressure chamber and ran a Quick Wash cycle (with the side panel off to make sure there were no leaks). The machine now filled properly and flushed away most of the remaining gunk. Most importantly the dishes are now clean again. Thanks sleepyhead.

I fixed mine. Cleaned the pipe going to the sump, although nothing came out ! Removed the impeller jug and blew through it, all seemed fine, put it all back together and it's working, gingers crossed !

Tried this yesterday and it worked, many thanks for posting the advice and picture. Really helped.
Thanks

Hi Folks - I found this thread - describes perfectly our problem - I bought an impeller jug and opened up the machine - there isn't one!
I have internals exactly as in the picture above but no impeller jug in the blue pipe.
The machine is quite old - 10 years or so - its a Bosch SG5002GB I think - is it too old for the impeller jug? :confused:

Ok so I was a bit hasty. The dishwasher sounded as if it was filling properly but the dishes were still coming out covered in residue. The upper arm was still not spinning indicating the machine was not getting enough water. A bit more searching found this thread

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=78737&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

sleepyhead came up with the solution "Feed pipe from water matrix to the sump of the dishwasher is partially blocked and it's underfilling...."

The feed pipe is the corrugated pipe on the far right coming out the bottom of the pressure chamber assembly. On my bosch I couldn't remove the pipe completely to flush it as sleephead suggested as I couldn't easily get into it. But I could take the near end (the one going into the pressure chamber assembly) out and clean the gunk (there was lots of it and it smelled bad) out with a toothbrush. I also cleaned in the inside of the pressure chamber assembly where I had disconnected the pipe as much as I could with the toothbrush. Then pushed the hose back into the pressure chamber and ran a Quick Wash cycle (with the side panel off to make sure there were no leaks). The machine now filled properly and flushed away most of the remaining gunk. Most importantly the dishes are now clean again. Thanks sleepyhead.

I have followed Sleephead & Sub 20 and the pipe was full of slime cleaned it out and the pressure chamber. at the moment NO leaks and is running on a quick wash fills ok
Thanks for all the informatiion

Handgun

I've had the same problem and ordered a new impeller jug. When I accessed the jug I found that the wires connected to it were broken. We've had a problem recently with mice and they had chewed through the wires. I've managed to connect them up again, left the old impeller jug in and all is working again. I'll keep the new jug as a spare but if antone else has the same problem check the wires first, specially if you have mice.

I had this too, the dishwasher (SGS45E08GB/45) was stuck at startup, the water switched on, it filled, the float valve tripped, switched off the water and pumped some out, then it started filling again until the float switch tripped again etc etc, it was causing a slow, 2-second water-hammer sound in the pipes. I took out the impeller jug and used a pair of pliers to slide the small circuit board out, it only holds a tiny reed switch which turned out to have failed. Maplin sold me a replacement for £1.49 (the CL37S), i soldered it onto the board in place of the dead one and hey-presto a fully working dishwasher again. Thanks to everyone here for the tips on what to look for! :D

Does what it says on the tin! Many Thanks
Dishwasher fixed at a cost of just over £20
(and local engineers would also have had to obtain part from espares or similar)
so not only cheaper but also quicker!
:D :D :D

I just wanted to thank you for your help here - I understood what i had to do, just couldn't take the panels off!
I simply (!) removed the pressure chamber, disassembled it and gave it a thorough clean - God, was it dirty; one tube was completely blocked. It is now working perfectly.
Thanks everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back