Bosch SPS544 Dishwasher problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody, newbie first post.
My dishwasher is not heating the water and water is not coming through the spray arns. I've had the arms off and they are clean so no prob there.
Water gets into the machine ok. I have the left hand side panel off and there is a large see through plastic affair approx 350mm wide by 700mm high that has chambers and routeways that the water goes through. I can see the water getting round most of this ok, but at the bottom in the middle there is a chamber with max and min lines on it that is full of some sort of orange stuff (algae ?) is this the root of the problem, or is this the water softener ?
Basically, I think the water is getting in ok but is not getting to the part of the machine that heats it and then sends it to the spray arms.
Any ideas anybody please ?

Mark.

Sponsored Links
first put some water in the tank about 2 kettle fulls and put on wash let us know if it sprays round

Thanks rocks, I've tried that and it doesn't spray. It fills the tank up ok on it's own anyway. It makes all the right noises, and also pumps the water out ok. I don't know the first thing about dishwashers but it's pretty obvious to me that they draw water in, the water gets pumped through some sort of heater element, then sent on to the spray arms. I know the motor/pump is working ok, it doesn't leak either, it just doesn't heat or spray at all.

Sponsored Links
The main wash pump has a capacitor fitted to it to give it the kick to start. If this fails the main wash pump which pumps the water through the heater and spray arms will not start.

If the appliance is pumping out that just means the drain pump is working, 'it should start when machine is first put on then stop to allow it to fill.

Cheers Leccy.
So there's 2 pumps on it then ?
Yes it does pump the water out when it first begins the cycle, and yes then it starts to fill ok.
The main problem I have is that I haven't been able to find any exploded diagrams or parts lists anywhere, so I dont know all the part names etc. I have both sides off, but it's all very compact and covered up and I cant see too much.
So it may be as simple as a blown capacitor ?

Mark.

cap is underneath the tank , a white round shape 2 wires attatched to circulation pump ,if that is ok circulation pump gone ,expensive

The only 2 wires I can see are a brown/black one, and a white/black one, going up the rhs of the tank about half way - would these be the ones ?
I tried to figure out how to get the tank off yesterday so I can see what's behind it, but I cant figure out how to release it, and I'm well aware that the last thing I want to do is b*g*er anything up.
Surely not as expensive as a new washer though ?

Mark.

circulation pump with cap should be on right hand side at the bottom ,to remove tank door needs to come of ,remove spray arms, release salt cap loads of bits you might be able to tilt the tank slighty to the left just enough to see the pump and cap .check on ebay for cap and you will see what you are looking for

rocks hi, on rhs toward the back, there is a motor (which I assumed was the only motor) at around 45 degrees. this has what I now assume to be the capacitor bolted to it, it's (the capacitor) around 3'' long by around 3/4 inch diameter. It has 2 terminals, one terminal has a red and a black wire attached to it, the other terminal has a brown wire attached to it. This pump/motor is spinning ok, so do I need to somehow check this capacitor ?
Tank is on lhs (when looking from front) btw.

Thanks,

Mark.

yes thats the cap 2 wires red /black .the motor that its attached too can you move the spindle at the rear of it

yes thats the cap 2 wires red /black .the motor that its attached too can you move the spindle at the rear of it
rocks, I emphasize 3 wires and 2 terminals - red and black go to terminal on the top, brown wire to terminal on the bottom. Yes I can turn the spindle, but this motor spins ok anyway when I send the machine through a cycle.

if it spins pump ok cap ok ,clean matrix on the left side and the pipes on same side one of them is blocked with crud

if it spins pump ok cap ok ,clean matrix on the left side and the pipes on same side one of them is blocked with crud
Proper top bostin rock - yoom a star. I thought it had to be a blockage somewhere. What's the matrix though, and which pipes do you mean ? is the matrix and these 2 pipes all on the left hand side ? (other side to the ok motor/cap) ?

remove left side panel and you will see what i mean. matrix is the clear plastic on the side

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back