Bosch tumble drier stops turning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought a Bosch tumble drier a few years ago and within a couple of years the drum intermittently stopped turning which to this day my wife has to keep giving it a turn by hand to get It going again. Also, the door has broken at the hinge which is hanging off. It can't be fixed as the plastic is broken.

Is it time to get a new one or is it worth having repaired ? Of course I won't buy Bosch again because of their poor build quality.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you should provide model number etc so it narrows it down ,bosch make too many dryers to just randomily guess what YOUR model is !!Capacitor will prob need changing on motor if you are having to keep starting it by hand ..that would be first port of call .Plug out first

i had the same problem on my condensing tumble dryer last weekend,(not a bosch)
took it out from its hole and was bloody surprised how much fluff etc had accumulated around the motor and all the vents at the back.
basically on mine the machine was having a coronary as it couldnt breathe.took the back and sides off and removed all the crud and hoovered it out,put everything back together and its working as it should.

sounds like you've got a wta2000 which was made by white knight/philips.
Door frame is reasonable price & would also agree with previous reply that your capacitor requires changing !!
unplug !!!!
If you have this model, there is a fella on here looking for some help with wiring the mains block.......give him a shout ! :)

Sponsored Links
Yes, it is a It's a WTA 2000. Where can I get a new door for this then please ?

Ok, thanks. You can't get the door any more but you can get the hinge fixings.

As for the capacitor, it looks like you just plug it in and go. Is it worth me checking if the belt is loose ? (did this a while ago and it was ok but still was stopping turning) Is this a classic symptom of the capacitor ?

Is it worth me checking if the belt is loose ? (did this a while ago and it was ok but still was stopping turning) Is this a classic symptom of the capacitor ?
Yes definitely.

Is it worth me checking if the belt is loose ? (did this a while ago and it was ok but still was stopping turning) Is this a classic symptom of the capacitor ?
Yes definitely.

Change the capacitor. It will be that. Unplug the machine & leave it an hour so the capacitor dis-charges.remove it & change it, located on the side of the motor....... Happy drying !!!

I will do thanks. :D

As a novice to electronics, what does the capacitor do to keep the drum turning and why does it work for some time and then stops ?

I will order one today and be careful how I take the old one off as I believe they can give you a nasty shock. It hasn't been used for days but I may still wear rubber gloves in case.

Ok, I need some help here. Being a novice I have taken the lid off and I cannot see any capacitor. I looked to take the back off but it looks like a lot of screws, some going into electrical parts. I don't want to just gues so can anyone tell me where to find it please ? :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back