Bosch WFF1201 Drum not turning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for some help with the above problem.

I have replaced the motor brushes, which were worn right down, I was careful to put the new ones in the same way round as the old ones came out, but I still have the same problem.

All help gratefully received.

Thanks
Bob

Sponsored Links

I have replaced the motor brushes, which were worn right down, I was careful to put the new ones in the same way round as the old ones came out, but I still have the same problem.

Thanks
Bob

Have you checked the belt on the rear.

Thanks
Bob

Dude, I just went through the same. Luckily I found this guy's pages: http://homepage.mac.com/jpelling/page3/page16/page16.html. Ok that really looks like spam. Anyway, I replaced the brushes, but noticed that one was not shiny as expected, but matted due to severe arcing in it's final moments. Unplug the motor connector and measure resistance between pins 4/5. Open circuit on mine, while 2/3 and 6/7 show readings. Took motor apart, and it's pins 4/5 which go via the internal fuse, which is indeed blown - not pins 2/3 as stated on Justin's (otherwise excellent) page. My guess would be that if any of 2/3, 4/5 or 6/7 are open circuit, your motor's toast. I'm trying to get hold of another internal fuse to solder in (looks like 15A 230v, ultra-quick blow), but otherwise it's ~200 sovs for a new motor.
I must say though that this washing machine is so well made that I want to repair it - after ~8 years the other parts still look new.

Sponsored Links
I've just been back to get some numbers off what I think's the internal fuse. I got 15AM 253A 04F9S, 04FGS or something similar, it's not too clear. I couldn't find any google hits for any of it. It's in the circuit for pins 4/5 though, because if I short it, the open circuit goes away. I think it's a non-resettable fuse, probably not supposed to be replaced either. I'm tempted to just short it... no, naughty!

If anyone's interested, I did bypass the internal motor fuse, to see if that was the only fault, and it's turning away happily now. I will, of course, get a new motor soon.

Many thanks for this, just checked and same as you open circuit between pins 4 & 5.

Others are OK.

Know where to get a cheap replacement motor?

The cheapest I found was 170 ukp from a local retail outlet - by mail order cheapest I saw was about that, plus P+P.
I would try shorting out the fuse and trying that first, because if you buy a new motor and find the controller's also blown, that'd be such a bummer.
I kind of wonder why the fuse is needed anyway... if it's just to protect the controller, I don't care - the next time the motor dies the machine's toast anyway :)

How easy is it to short the fuse? Do I have to dismantle the motor?

Thanks for your help.

How easy is it to short the fuse? Do I have to dismantle the motor?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, but if you turn the machine upside down, it's easy to remove, then it's easy to dismantle it - four torx screws and the back lifts off. The fuse is on the plastic plate at the front.

Just a quick note of thanks to those that posted on this topic. Our WFF1401 has just suffered the same fate. I hoped it was just the brushes, but it turned out the fuse in the motor had gone open circuit as well. It nagged at my conscience a bit but in the end I decided to link it out with some 15A fuse wire (twisted and soldiered). I noticed there is a cheaper place to get a replacement motor http://www.apart4u.com/default.cfm?viewprod&id=7589 but £123 is still far too steep! Why can't Bosch make the bit inside the motor available as a spare part - it's dead easy to take apart. If the whole thing goes bang so be it, but no doubt it will go on for another 5 years at least. I kick myself that I didn't just change the brushes as routine maintainance at 5 years old. Any way thanks again. Cliff

Just a quick note of thanks to those that posted on this topic. Our WFF1401 has just suffered the same fate. I hoped it was just the brushes, but it turned out the fuse in the motor had gone open circuit as well. It nagged at my conscience a bit but in the end I decided to link it out with some 15A fuse wire (twisted and soldiered). I noticed there is a cheaper place to get a replacement motor http://www.apart4u.com/default.cfm?viewprod&id=7589 but £123 is still far too steep! Why can't Bosch make the bit inside the motor available as a spare part - it's dead easy to take apart. If the whole thing goes bang so be it, but no doubt it will go on for another 5 years at least. I kick myself that I didn't just change the brushes as routine maintainance at 5 years old. Any way thanks again. Cliff

Ah, er, yes, I've still not got around to replacing that motor :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back