Bosch Worcester 30Ri or 30 CDi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to replace my old Malvern boiler and have been recommended both the Bosch Worcester 30Ri (new out at the end of 2013) and the 30 CDi.

Space isn't an issue as the boiler will be in the garage - does anyone have a view as to which of these boilers is better?

cheers

Sponsored Links
They do a cdi openvent...
The cdi is the better of the 2 but why limit your optio s to just WB?

You can't go too far wrong with most open vent models. The design behind the CDI though, has been around for over 12 years and is proven.

Sponsored Links
they do a cdi system but that isnt what the question said it said cdi or ri the standard cdi is a combi

they do a cdi classic system boiler they dont make a heat only model

the ri is the heat only model

the cdi compact is a system or a combi
the si is a system

i know dan but as the company i work for fit them i have to say fit them :) i would but a intergas in all the way :) ( we did fit them but it took weeks to get them )

they do a cdi system but that isnt what the question said it said cdi or ri the standard cdi is a combi

they do a cdi classic system boiler they dont make a heat only model

the ri is the heat only model

the cdi compact is a system or a combi
the si is a system

They do a cdi conventional, cos i serviced one last week ;)

They haven't made a 30CDi combi for a few years now. Do try to keep up!

The question was valid, and the 30CDi Regular and the 30Ri open vent are both the same market.

There is also a 30CDi system but this isn't what the OP wants.

We have seen three heat exchanger failures over the last 11 yrs in the Junkers Cdi boilers, all have been handled marvellously by WB. I know at least one had no water in it (it was a regular).

The Junkers heat exchanger is actually sold cheaper in some markets than the heatcell in the 'old' Ri (not the stir welded 30Ri version).

The 30Ri can be be used with the new wiring centre giving dual boiler stats for HW and CH; that is a useful feature.

Thanks for all the feedback.

So putting aside the Intergas option for the moment...

The consensus is CDi rather than Ri - any reasons?

As for Intergas - I've not come across these guys before. Part of the problem with my current Malvern is that getting hold of parts is hard as Malvern have gone out of business - hence my preference for an 'established' brand

The 30CDi classic regular uses the WB5 heat exchanger. The heat exchanger is a well proven robust design that's probably been around since 2000 or so. There's no design or maintenance issues and they are easy to work on...plenty of room. The display features diagnostics too.

The 30Ri uses the new WB7 heat exchanger (cheaper to manufacture and lighter). It's only been around for a year or so and it's too early to tell if it will be long lasting. My suspicions are that the new compact heat exchanger will happily clog itself up in a similar way to Isars etc. The boiler is smaller and therefore likely to be more difficult to work on. There are no proper diagnostics built into the boiler.

IMHO the CDi Classic is by far the better boiler.

When buying a boiler you should consider...

Initial cost
Robustness (especially to poor installation which is very common)
Manufacture backup (how quick they can respond and are the directly employed engineers)
Easy parts availability and parts prices (for when the warranty is not honoured...often the case due to poor installation or lack of servicing)
Servicing costs
Knowledge of the product by non manufacturer engineers
etc etc

Don't waste your time comparing efficiency figures...most of them are fiddled, TRV's and turning the 'stat down makes far more difference to the bill.

Intergas may appear ok but the backups hopeless. Merchants don't stock the parts and agents are thin on the ground. They aren't as reliable as they like to make out. Of course with an immersion heater backup for water and a couple of fan heaters the boiler being out of action for days (or maybe weeks at Christmas) may not be a hardship.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back