boss connector: 38mm / 40mm / 50mm / 50 ish ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a waste-pipe from w'machine, d'washer and sink to the bathroom soil pipe. The run is less than 2.3m so I'm using white 40mm pipe.
The soil pipe currently serves the basin, bath and toilet.

There is one inlet left, so that's what I intend to connect to. You're gonna hate me for this, but I got my pipes from Wickes and B&Q. They didn't have a piece to connect the 40mm pipe to the 50mm inlet so I went to a plumber's merchant.

They confused me by saying nothing will fit and I'll have to replace the whole lot with grey 40mm pipe or possibly even 50mm pipe. Neither of the connectors they gave me to try fit onto the inlet. However, based on the (paint-covered) connectors fitted to the exisitng inlets, Marley appear to make what I'm looking for. However, snce the soil pipe connection (I think it's called a boss upstand) was fitted 18 years ago, the plumber's merchant said it won't fit, plus I still need a reducer.

I'm obviously the only man alive who doesn't know that DIY 'sheds' sell the wrong size of everything and nothing is compatible. Can someone please explain the difference between white and grey and 40mm and 38mm pipe, I've measured the inner and outer circumference of my pipes and they're somewhere in between.

?

Sponsored Links
Prob`ly you`ve got pushfit plastic :?: .....Solvent weld plastic is usually the white/grey/black from plumbers merchants.....I still call it 1.i/2 inch ;)

Bosses on soil pipe are not standard, so you will need a boss adaptor of the same make (Marley). Even if it is 18 years old, it should still be the same size, but check with Marley.

Once you have a boss adaptor, things become relatively simple. You may have to adapt between the two slightly different standard sizes of 40mm pipe, if the one you have doesn't match the boss adaptor. the simplest way to do this is to use a compression joint, which will adapt to both sizes.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back