Boss White and Plumbers Mait: Rad valves

15 Nov 2005
Reaction score
Cook Islands
When I learned how to fit rad valves, it was using these jointing pastes. Times have moved on. I've got the hang of PTFE tape on screwed joints like the tails, but what is the "modern" way to do the compression joint, and what if I am using a valve with rounded parts of the tail and valve?

My old lockshields have this 3/4" connection, don't know what it's called, sort of like a section of ball and socket.
Sponsored Links
Compression joints (with an olive) - just make sure everything is clean and shiny and don't over-tighten. If its and old joint that is leaking - pull back the nut and wind a couple of turns of PTFE around the olive.

The radaitor valve connection I think is called a union or ball union. You may need to smear a small amount of stuff on it if it leaks - boss white, plumbers mate etc.
PTFE works on those ball-y things, too. "Gas" tape is handy because it's thicker, and squashes nicely.
Sponsored Links
Get some jet blue from ya local plumb center as its good for all joints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local