Botch or acceptable fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be grateful if someone could you offer some advice please.

We had a 150 x 90 stone resin shower tray fitted a few months ago but experienced movement near the edge where it sits against the wall. This caused creaking and a broken silicone seal. Eventually the plumbers were called back by the builder and they removed a few tiles and plasterboard at the bottom to locate the problem.

Initially they thought it could be a subfloor issue then it became apparent there were gaps under the edge of the shower tray where the bedding adhesive was missing. To fix the problem they have put expanding foam around the edge, trying to get it underneath as much as possible but without moving the tray. This seems firm atm.

I can compress this foam with my fingers, therefore over time will this foam compress/disintegrate under the shower tray with use and cause a reoccurrence of the problem once the builder is long gone. Please see attached picture.

Do people think this is an acceptable fix or should I insist that the tray is removed and rebedded? Or any other fix?

I also have a durgo question I'll add on a different thread.

Thank you for reading. View media item 97287

Attachments

• 20200624_110011.jpg
    20200624_110011.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 258
Sponsored Links
Oh good grief ... that's got to be the king of bodges.

If a tray is moving because it hasn't been set in properly it needs to be lifted and re-set, only way it's ever going to be right.

Sponsored Links
Bodge it and scarper have stuck again I’d ream the builder and get new plumbers in rough xxxxxxxxs. Bob

Thank you to all. Do you think the foam will compress over time and weight? I understand it ought to be replaced but not looking forward to mess/lack of shower again and tackling builder about another issue...

+1 .... expanding foam isn't structural therefore it will shift sooner rather than later.

It really shouldn't be a issue, whoever did it, if they have any professionalism at all, should be sorting it properly without question.

not looking forward to mess/lack of shower again

If you don't get it lifted and sorted properly now it will never be right and you will be plagued with leaks/issues until it is.

The worst is if it leaks through to the wall/floor covering without actually dripping through as you won't know about it until something fails, sometimes spectacularly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back