bottom edge of door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_0921.JPG

I want to tidy up the bottom edges of a few doors, but can't think how I can make this good with filler.

Would it be an option to install a nice looking metal right angle over the edge face screwed to the door? A kick plate is too big and looks too intrusive.

Comments welcome.

Sponsored Links
I think a metal angle would look rubbish. Take the door off, remove any paint that is trying to come off (without getting carried away), use a thin skim of interior filler against the paint edge, sand until you can't feel the paint edge, re-paint. I'm not a decorator but that's what I'd do.

+1

IMO you wont get a good finish unless you take it off, sand it back, then prime and paint etc. With a good sander you'll get the face of the door clean and smooth in no time. Looks like there's loads of paint on it.

Sponsored Links
Alright I'll give filler another go. I guess the trim would look a bit silly.

p.s. would be nice to strip it all back but is it really worth it for a flush door that is so old? Something I might think about in the future

Lol...yeah sorry you weren't.

You are right though I suppose there are perhaps 4-5 layers on the door and it could do with a strip back. Besides the added work I wasn't sure whether the base layers may have lead in them, which is what puts me off going the extra leg.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back