Bottom Newel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I plan to fit top & bottom newel posts to my stairs. Its open plan and has not had newels before.

I am hoping to mortice & tenon the bottom newel to the closed string. Maybe even drop it through the floorboards to a joist.

The newel is 90mm sq and the string is 42mm thick.

What thickness should I make the tenon ?
Not wanting to cut too much out of the newel post.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Cheers
Stoyer

Sponsored Links
I would recommend about 25-30mm housing for your stringer. i would also recommend going through floor also. if the newels are being painted you can also screw through the face into a countersunk hole for extra security remember plenty of glue and rub down any painted surfaces with sandpaper before applying glue, this will provide better adhesion.

Cheers Kev,

The new newels are oak, its all being sanded and oiled - so its a bit of a tricky job for a non-joinery chap like myself.

Would you dowel them or screw and oak cap ?

I was hoping someone would suggest going into the floor - I knew that's what I had to do, but wanted it confirmed so it wasn't just over-kill on my part.

I hope to post a picture of the top newel for some further advice !?

thanks for your help mate.

Stoyer

It really all depends on what tools you have. i would generally countersink and screw, then plug some oak over the hole. you can achieve this if you have a plug cutter and cut a plug from scrap oak you have (maybe from the newel after your housing has been cut?), pop some glue in countersunk hole and place new plug in, let it dry and plane it off leaving it just slightly proud. finish with fine sandpaper and wire wool before oil finish.

If you are limited in tooling you could use dowels, lost head nails. but i really can stress enough, a decent wood glue will take care of most of the stability.

as far as the floor goes, if you can get underneath floor fix timbers on underside and fix to newel.

If you can use any of these methods its not going anywhere.

newel cap - use some wood glue and oval brad nails. pick up some wood filler, and as good a match to the oak you have. just for any small defects.

Sponsored Links
When you say "floor fix" I am thinking, I fasten timbers to the floor joist and then to the new newel ?

Sort of like noggins ?

yes, pretty much. when you have your newel cut out and lowered into floor, basically surround it with timbers on the underside on each face of the post and screw timber to floor boards and newel. you can only do this obviously if you can access beneath floor.

OK - I understand, thanks for your advice.

I'll come back and let you know how i get on.

Stoyer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back