Bottom of door is rubbing

When it comes to pro's, you literally have to micro manage them or you will get kicked in the place you don't want kicked.
Complete and utter tosh! Try to micro manage almost any competent person in any area of endeavour and you will get what you deserve - kicked in the goolies, or the person in question will simply walk away.

As to a unit being 300mm out, unfortunately it happens. It's a fact of life that errors occur - you go to a garage for a service and the car is returned with a new fault, you order new shoes off a well known internet supplier and what turns up is both the wrong style and colour (pink slippers when grey hiking boots were ordered? WTF?), and so on and so forth. Granted it shouldn't happen, but the important thing is how the supplier deals with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
the mark off a skilled trade person is making a mistake and seamlessly sorting it out without more than 5 mins to give thought how it may affect others and sorting to a standard as quickly 'efficiently and at minimum cost -----------------

----------then hope no one noticed ;)

If you got 6 moths of use out of it, it's still 6 months of value. I am sure the handy man would have given a couple of years of use especially if the customer is careful.
With the doors cut down that way and the top cut off you might only get 6 days use because the "modification" is so bad. More to the point, a wardrobe requires a top. Without a top the structure is weak, and potentially dangerous. Without a top the contents can and will quite quickly end up with a fine coating of household dust on the upper surfaces (i.e the shoulders). Without a top the clothes stored inside the topless wardrobe will be open to moth attack. And so on and so forth

So without a top it is fundamentally utterly useless for its' intended purpose. It is unfit for purpose. Would you drive a car which the garage had handed you back to you minus half its' wheel nuts because it would "give a couple of years of use especially if the customer is careful"?

So having established the principle, why not follow your own recommendation and accept the kitchen cabinet that's too narrow, get a handyman in to cut it in two and stitch in a bit of Contiplas and some filler - with careful use you might get 2 years use out of it. You know I think I might be able to suggest someone to do the job... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Complete and utter tosh! Try to micro manage almost any competent person in any area of endeavour and you will get what you deserve - kicked in the goolies, or the person in question will simply walk away.
Sorry, but I do have to partially agree with DNJ, because so many modern tradesmen are simply not competent, cannot be trusted to look after your interests and will do the minimum amount they can get away with. Happily, though rarely, there are exceptions.

Sponsored Links
...so many modern tradesmen are simply not competent, cannot be trusted to look after your interests and will do the minimum amount they can get away with...
That applies to a lot of people - from the person behind the counter in Screwfix to solicitors doing conveyancing work. I still object to being tarred with the same brush by a guy who consistently argues with tradesmen when he clearly doesn't know what he is on about but then seeks to micro manage situations, a bit like some of the people on Grand Designs...

I've only read first and last pages of thread so apologies to anyone who may've mentioned another way...rather than taking off the bottom of the door, can you not sand down the wood strip across the floor instead? Sand the side as well to tidy it up, a fresh coat of paint and it's all good.
Maybe wait for warmer weather, eh.

I've only read first and last pages of thread so apologies to anyone who may've mentioned another way...rather than taking off the bottom of the door, can you not sand down the wood strip across the floor instead? Sand the side as well to tidy it up, a fresh coat of paint and it's all good.

It's gone a bit beyond fixing the door. I'm just waiting to see if he's going to actually remove the door before he hacks the bottom off with a circular saw.

yes its been on an intergalactic journey to Mars Pluto Saturn via Uranus and landed in Siberia but we are still hanging in here helping as best as we can :giggle:

You can lead a horse to water but can’t make it drink.

Kudos to Dorothy Parker- when interviewed by a journalist, the fellow asked if she could, on the fly, make up a satirical joke containing the word "horticulture"

Her (genius)response was-

You can lead a horitculture, but you can't make her think

My favourite quip is-

What is the difference between an enzyme and a hormone? - you can't hear an enzyme.

I am going off topic.... but the woman was genius. Google her quotes.

as drop can be caused by loose hinge /loose frame or sagging door through buggered joints through dipping you need to cure the cause /causes otherwise it can drop further and give you a very trimmed door that after solving the problem and pulling back to correct position can leave an incurable mess off gaps where they need not be

several answer really
you need to work out where the slack is so start with the frame if thats solid lift the door handle side looking for slack
now this can be loose hinge or worn hinge or something like a sloppy loose pin hinge
it can also be the door has dropped through dipping or even top door joint hinge side loosening
do you have a nice even gap both sides up the door if not look at packing out a hinge or letting in a hinge
now iff you have ruled out all these possible causes then trim the door

Last edited:
Cou
several answer really
you need to work out where the slack is so start with the frame if thats solid lift the door handle side looking for slack
now this can be loose hinge or worn hinge or something like a sloppy loose pin hinge
it can also be the door has dropped through dipping or even top hinge joint loosening
do you have a nice even gap both sides up the door if not look at packing out a hinge or letting in a hinge
now iff you have ruled out all these possible causes then trim

Attachments

• 20221215_104737.jpg
    20221215_104737.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 20221215_104737.jpg
    20221215_104737.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20221215_104725.jpg
    20221215_104725.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20221215_104725.jpg
    20221215_104725.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 36
the mark off a skilled trade person is making a mistake and seamlessly sorting it out without more than 5 mins to give thought how it may affect others and sorting to a standard as quickly 'efficiently and at minimum cost -----------------

----------then hope no one noticed ;)
The mark of a really skilled trade person is to distract the customer whilst using the technical adjustment tool (hammer)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back