Bottom of door is rubbing

Sponsored Links
Poor Keitai gets a right kicking in these threads.

The problem is householders stand no chance of getting a fully skilled carpenter to do these jobs, so there is a big demand for handyman services - the problem is often these little repair jobs need a lot of experience and kit to do them proud.

Keitai does ask advice where he isn’t sure, so he clearly wants to learn….I don’t think that’s the sign of a cowboy.

"was that the kettle boiling, i heard" no sugar please :D
Bl@@dy customers always show up at inopportune moments, I find using a noisy chop saw spraying sawdust everywhere gets them away.

Poor Keitai gets a right kicking in these threads.

The problem is householders stand no chance of getting a fully skilled carpenter to do these jobs, so there is a big demand for handyman services - the problem is often these little repair jobs need a lot of experience and kit to do them proud.

Keitai does ask advice where he isn’t sure, so he clearly wants to learn….I don’t think that’s the sign of a cowboy.

I agree with the thrust of your post. I take the pee out of some of his posts but I respect the fact that he comes here to ask for advice when he is not sure. The corollary, potentially, would be someone that does a carp job and doesn't care enough to ask.

Sponsored Links
Bl@@dy customers always show up at inopportune moments, I find using a noisy chop saw spraying sawdust everywhere gets them away.
Routers and power planers are even better (louder)!

Probably because I had just had the day from hell at work? Point taken, though, talking to our mutual friend is like p1ss1ng into the wind
Well, if it is any consolation, I agreed to fit an internal door, one of those lightweight one on a new extension.
All was there, the door, the door frame and all the hardware.
However, the builder (pardon me, the bodger) had left the opening at 31 inches x 78 inches.
As you know, those doors can't be trimmed much, so I ended up wasting half a day cutting walls and modifying the door structure for something which should've taken an hour or 2 at worst.
Lots of swearing went on...
This is the bodger who doubled his original quote for "unexpected problems".
The toilet overflows because the waste pipe goes up instead of down, half of the spotlight don't work, the oven trips the mcb, the dpc is same level as the garden paving and don't get me started on the laminate floor which looks like the Sahara dunes with lots of silicone in badly trimmed edges.
How the heck he's gonna get BC to approve that rubbish is beyond me.
Or, a complacent private BC will just pass everything for a few bobs.
I came home and opened a bottle of Jack.
Never again!

The keep needed lowering so chiselled it out and dropped it so latch would fit. I guess whole doorframe has gone lopsided. Could I cut the metal in middle of keep instead?

Also put a thing on bottom of door to reduce drafts
20221216_143742.jpg
20221216_143818.jpg
20221216_141210.jpg

No get a five lever insurance approved mortice lock and start again. Otherwise you will jeopardise front door security and possibly the home insurance.

I'm assuming the elderly client can't afford a new door/frame to be fitted by a professional.

Happy New Year

Blup

You can use a file on the metal to alter it slightly. If you have it, a dremel sized diamond bit can be used as a power file.

You can use a file on the metal to alter it slightly. If you have it, a dremel sized diamond bit can be used as a power file.
I've got a multi too and reciprocating saw both with metal blades

I've got a multi too and reciprocating saw both with metal blades
Wrong tools for this sort of job. A four square file (with a handle fitted) is probsbly a better bet if you need to modify the keep. A 6 to 8in four square and an 8 to 10in 2nd cut flate file (both fitted with handles!) are handy additions to any toolkit. Not everything can be done with power tools!

Happy New Year (when it arrives)!

Not everything can be done with power tools!
I did it with a dremel and a diamond bit.

In the OP's case, I think it's more effective to fix the wonky door by deepening the recess the top hinge is sitting in. That will correct the keep as well as the lock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back