Bought a fixer upper. What’s this front vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was completely new to DIY and construction, etc. earlier this year.

I knew I wanted to buy a fixer upper and do some of the smaller stuff myself, so I’ve read book after book and watched YouTube video after YouTube video. It pretty much dominates my time.

One thing I can’t work out is what this vent is. Duh, it’s a vent. But it seems so crude and jarring. Any way to replace it?

Attachments

• 07B6EF71-3F80-4AB4-BD28-A7D53B1F2301.jpeg
    07B6EF71-3F80-4AB4-BD28-A7D53B1F2301.jpeg
    694.7 KB · Views: 323
Sponsored Links
While it does need a new front grill, you would be best identifying where the silver pipe goes?
Is it for an extractor fan the other side of that wall? What is there that is the other side of the wall?
Fan, boiler, fireplace ? (as the list gets longer so does it also get worse if its for that item).

Thanks Andy. I just noticed as I uploaded the pic.

So just measure and buy a normal vent cover.

Is that crack in the render to the right anything to be concerned about?

Sponsored Links
While it does need a new front grill, you would be best identifying where the silver pipe goes?
Is it for an extractor fan the other side of that wall? What is there that is the other side of the wall?
Fan, boiler, fireplace ? (as the list gets longer so does it also get worse if its for that item).

It possibly is for the fireplace but it’s the exterior of the bay window.

It's pretty low down.....could it be an air supply for an open fire?
Either way, the local rodents could get their eyes on it so I'd block the gap between duct and the brickwork promptly!
The render looks sound, but listen for a hollow sound when you tap it.
John :)

It's pretty low down.....could it be an air supply for an open fire?
Either way, the local rodents could get their eyes on it so I'd block the gap between duct and the brickwork promptly!
The render looks sound, but listen for a hollow sound when you tap it.
John :)

Thanks John.

It could very well be air supply for an open fire as there is one to the right of the inside of that wall.

Well, it isn't strictly mine yet. The searches results should be back within the next week, and then the solicitor will exchange contracts on my behalf with the vendor, and then it's mine. As in literally mine... cash purchase, owned outright. Saved and saved until the ripe old age of 32 now. It does need a lot of love and attention though, but I am more than happy to rough it while learning all these things and carefully having a go myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back