Metal Hit and Miss air vent covers and their lack of a built-in fly screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What is the recommended way of stopping flies and bugs with these types of hit and miss vents?

The cheapo plastic ones always seem to have a fly screen built-in. Here is an example of a cheap quality plastic one with a fly screen built-in

cheap one 2.jpg

Here is a youtube video of a metal hit and miss vent (if you watch between 58 seconds and 1 minute 4 seconds you get to see the back and how the open/close mechanism works).

I can think of a few possible solutions, none of them ideal.

1. Buy a sheet of fly mesh, cut it to an appropriate size and glue it to the back of the vent.
2. Silicone or glue a piece of fly mesh to the inside side of the external airbrick
3. Put one of these rodent mesh covers over the outside of the external airbrick.

external air brick cover 3.jpg

or is there a better solution I haven’t thought of or found by googling? Surely I'm not the first person to encounter this issue?

The best feature for me of a built-in fly screen is the ease of hoovering it from the inside of the house, ie no climbing up ladders when the mesh eventually gets blocked.

PS. I'm aware that hit and miss air vent are not to be used near gas appliances, but there are no gas appliances in this room, so using a hit and miss vent will be fine.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back