Hit and miss vent question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
15105043192721806463452.jpg 1510504363024303698876.jpg

Afternoon. Could do with some advice on how to fit a metal hit and miss vent please. Its operation is opposite of the usual plastic types where the front plate slides across to close it. On these the front plate is secured to the wall and there's a slider which moves the rear plate back and forth.

Problem is that when I secure it to the wall I can't see how it'll move! I also have a fly screen mesh cut to fit which the fixing screws hold in place. The unit is 227mm square, rear plate is 200x175 and the hole is 210x 140 landscape once I knock some of the plaster clear.

What am I missing? Thanks for the advice in advance!

Sponsored Links
All you can do is frame it around the outer edges with someting so it stands off the wall, or by another type of vent?.

Suppose you could put a washer under each hole to stand it off the wall?.

Thanks for the response.

That was an option, the other being making enough space for the plate to slide back and forth within the opening. However the flyscreen still interferes with it unless as you say it's on an upstand or washers which don't look particularly neat. Can't believe it's this fiddly.

I think if you try and knock the hole out square enouh to clear the slider you won't have enough meat left to drill for a decent fixing..

It is a pretty poorly designed vent as you say.

White plastic hit and miss maybe better, I bought this one from Wickes for the WC.

20170605_182333.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think if you try and knock the hole out square enouh to clear the slider you won't have enough meat left to drill for a decent fixing..

It is a pretty poorly designed vent as you say.

White plastic hit and miss maybe better, I bought this one from Wickes for the WC.

View attachment 130369
If the whole is finished correctly than there should be plenty of room to fix.The one in the pic has not been finished square and straight edged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back