bought a house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the kitchen is on three circuits.

Is this a sign of diy or bodged jobs over a few years?

half of the kitchen is the result of an extension done in 1988.

Regards

Sponsored Links
What is on 3 circuits? It is advisable to have a periodic inspection report carried out on the installation at change of occupancy, if you get an electrician to do one of these for you it should highlight any major problems.

What is on the 3 circuits :?:

(In my kitchen I have 3 circuits, which are the Cooker circuit, the Kitchen sockets, & the Kitchen/ Bedroom lights circuit)

total of eight sockets in kitchen.

3 are on one switch at the CU, 3 on another one and the remaining two on a separate one too!

Had an elec come round few eeks back. No bonding to the pipes which has now been fixed and CU changed.

He says that since the wiring has been done in several stages and many alterations done over the years it needs a rewire (the whole house). He put this in the comment box of the EIC.

Now the CU has not yet tripped once since the change so why would my installation need a rewire?

Sponsored Links
The reason that the sockets may be on 3 circuits is that the 1st circuit may have been there before the extentison was done, the 2nd circuit may have been for the sockets in the extentison.

I know that in the kitchen at home, before I replaced it, the sockets were on 2 circuits, 3 sockets (on the cooker side of the kitchen) were on a ring circuit, which was on the rcd protected cu, & 2 sockets & the back outside socket were on a radial circuit on the non- RCD protected cu.

Now all of the kitchen sockets (9 sockets) are on a ring circuit protected by a 32amp RCBO in the new 19 way cu (as there used to be 2 cus, a 6 way non-RCD cu & a 4way RCD cu)

Does it really need a rewire? Irecently put 4 circuits in a kitchen........cooker,ring,fridge/freezer,lights. Surely as long as each circuit is correctly labelled at the cu and the cable is sized correctly to the load and overcurrent device what is the problem. Surely you can't advice a rewire simply on the basis of the number of circuits. Have a look at the way they do it in some countries on the continent.......an mcb for lights in 1 room. Surely safety is the only issue. If all the tests come up trumps why rewire? Would like to hear more views on this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back