Kitchen electrics - DIY?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am planning the build for our new single story extension which will result in a large kitchen diner type room. Half the area already has the existing kitchen, with all wiring in place on its own ring. There is also a dedicated cooker circuit.

What I'm trying to work out is whether it is now allowable to add (appropriate number of) sockets to an existing ring in a kitchen yourself, when you're not actually adding a new ring.

As I understand it the Part P regs changed a few years ago so that modifications to existing installations in a kitchen circuit are now allowed by non part-P certified individual, and don't need to be 'signed off' by building control. However from internet searches I haven't found anything that states this 100% in black and white....

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Alot of this is going to depend on the opinion of whoever you use for building regs, you are allowed to extend your existing ring main yourself without requiring building regs sign off, you just can't create a new circuit or change anything in the consumer unit.

The issue seems to be some building inspectors think altering electrics as part of an extension should be under the building regs for the extension and trying to get them to understand there wrong and sign off your job is difficult at best.

There is no such thing as a part P certified individual. Part P is a building reg not a certification.

As I understand it the Part P regs changed a few years ago so that modifications to existing installations in a kitchen circuit are now allowed by non part-P certified individual, and don't need to be 'signed off' by building control. However from internet searches I haven't found anything that states this 100% in black and white....

Many thanks in advance

It's here: https://assets.publishing.service.g...achment_data/file/441872/BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf

Specifically para 2.5 on page 6 of Approved Document P

However, if you are doing electrical work as part of a larger project that has been notified under Building Regs, then the work will still need to be certified as part of the BR certification. You need to confirm up front what your LABC requires.

Sponsored Links
Alot of this is going to depend on the opinion of whoever you use for building regs, you are allowed to extend your existing ring main yourself without requiring building regs sign off, you just can't create a new circuit or change anything in the consumer unit.
Indeed, there is no doubt that (in England - not Wales if a kitchen is involved) as standalone exercise, extending an existing sockets circuit is not notifiable. However, as you go on to say ...
The issue seems to be some building inspectors think altering electrics as part of an extension should be under the building regs for the extension and trying to get them to understand there wrong and sign off your job is difficult at best.
... and that quite often seems to be the problem. As you say, some building inspectors seem to believe that any/all electrical work (even if, alone, it would not be notifiable) comes within their scope when it is part of a larger, notifiable, project.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks all - I need to contact the building control officer about a few other tings anyway so will ask them what their opinion is.

Its not going to be anything complicated anyway so even if they act silly I could just stump up a a few hundred for a sparky if they really insist.

Cheers

Thanks all - I need to contact the building control officer about a few other tings anyway so will ask them what their opinion is. Its not going to be anything complicated anyway so even if they act silly I could just stump up a a few hundred for a sparky if they really insist.
Fair enough, and good luck.

It seems that (as one might expect) Building Control Officers vary from the very sensible/reasonable to 'impossible Jobsworths' - and sometimes actually a bit worse than that, since the latter sometimes attempt to assert/enforce their personal opinions even when laws/regs do not actually 'say' what they are trying to enforce!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back