Conservatory electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a new conservatory which will be open plan off my dining room/kitchen.
Can I extend four double sockets by running a new cable off an existing socket in the dining room part of my kitchen/diner?
Can I run the lighting circuit off an existing loop supplying outside lights

Sponsored Links
It depends on how you intend to do it - firstly if the socket circuit is a ring you can either extend the ring around or install an fused spur unit and run the sockets from there.
If it is already a spur then you can replace it with an FSU and run all the sockets from there.
If the task involves any work in a kitchen then this will become notifiable to your LABC under part p.
You'll have to find out more about the lights - you need to pick up a permanent live, neutral and an earth in order to run the lights.

I am building a new conservatory which will be open plan off my dining room/kitchen.
Really? I'm sure building control would like to hear about this.

(To be exempt from BC the conservatory must have an external door between it and the house)

(Remove the door and you must notify them, and there are very strict heat loss regulations that a normal conservatory would simply not meet)

(I think)

(Why am I typing in brackets?)

Steve

your response was of no help whatsoever!! I already have planning appoval because of the size of the conservatory, and all aspects of the build including open plan and insulation are fully compliant and APPROVED.

Sponsored Links
When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say you'd be doing to ensure compliance with Part P?

You can always use a fuse spur off the socket circuit for the lights (replace 13amp fuse for a 3amp).

When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say you'd be doing to ensure compliance with Part P?

Conservatories are not covered by part P unless the circuits you want to put in are a new circuit or extending a circuit already serving a location such as kitchen or bathroom.

Conservatories are not covered by part P unless the circuits you want to put in are a new circuit or extending a circuit already serving a location such as kitchen or bathroom.

All electrical work in a domestic dwelling is covered by Part P. Not all electrical work is notifiable though, there is a difference.

It's irrelevant anyhow as woodbug wrote;
Can I extend four double sockets by running a new cable off an existing socket in the dining room part of my kitchen/diner?

All electrical work in a domestic dwelling is covered by Part P. Not all electrical work is notifiable though, there is a difference.

It's irrelevant anyhow as woodbug wrote;
It's also irrelevant because the electrical work is part of a larger project which was notified.

So as I said - I'd be interested to know what Woodbug specified, on his application for Building Regulations approval, that he'd be doing to ensure compliance with Part P...

Steve

your response was of no help whatsoever!! I already have planning appoval because of the size of the conservatory, and all aspects of the build including open plan and insulation are fully compliant and APPROVED.
Very well, I was merely informing you of the correct route of notification, since many people seem blissfully unaware of the amount of heat that a normal conservatory looses and how much it costs to heat in winter. Building control is there to help in this matter, and since you already have notified, then all is well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back