Bought New House. Confused about heating and water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently I bought a new house. Its 3 floors high and I knew there was a split system sort of thing when buying. One part on the middle floor (Range Tribune HE shown in photos) and one part on the top floor (Ideal Logic Heat 12 shown in photos).

When I viewed the house, I noticed it also has a Hive thermostat (located on the bottom floor with the paired device located on the top floor underneath the Ideal Logic) and underfloor heating (HeatMat). At the time, I viewed the house and the floor laminate flooring was a bit chilly but once I went upstairs and came back down, it was HOT (I think they heard me make a comment that it wasn't on as I walked on the chilly floor).

So I witnessed the capability of heating the floor quickly. However now I've moved in, that doesn't happen. It's very hard to heat the floor and the Hive thermostat never seems to climb to the target temperature either.

There is a second thermostat too DanFoss on the top floor.

This has led to some big confusions as to why the heating feels suboptimal and makes it hard for an amateur like me to troubleshoot it. We were left with no/limited manuals and the prior occupant didn't answer my messages about it.

I should mention that the Range Tribune has a 0 reading on the pressure gauge but I still get hot water so I made the assumption that it is not heating the water.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Photos included.

IMG_20210408_194900.jpg
IMG_20210408_194907.jpg
IMG_20210408_194931.jpg
IMG_20210408_194941.jpg
IMG_20210408_195110.jpg
IMG_20210408_195214.jpg
IMG_20210408_195257.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is the heat mat not an electric underfloor that won’t be linked to the ideal system, pressure on gauge should be around 1 bar needs topping up

Is the heat mat not an electric underfloor that won’t be linked to the ideal system, pressure on gauge should be around 1 bar needs topping up

"Is the heat mat not an electric underfloor that won’t be linked to the ideal system"
I would have thought the underfloor heating was separate but at this point, I was confused so thought I would just put all the information I know about the house on the thread and ask some more knowledgeable people!

"pressure on gauge should be around 1 bar needs topping up"
I don't have any valves next to the gauge though. I found some posts from 2010 discussing a similar issue but their systems were slightly different and had the valves beside the gauge.

I do have a small black valve on the filling loop (labelled as such with a little laminated tag) attached to the main cylindrical component (can be seen in the photo). So would it just be that?

Sponsored Links
pressure on gauge should be around 1 bar needs topping up
Turn the screw marked in red 90° Until it is in line with the braided hose then turn the black handle marked in green slowly until the pressure on the gauge reads 1 bar. Then turn them both back to where they were.

56CBC884-D5A3-4E31-8EB7-2233A716AF62.jpeg

Thanks for the reply guys!

Turn the screw marked in red 90° Until it is in line with the braided hose then turn the black handle marked in green slowly until the pressure on the gauge reads 1 bar. Then turn them both back to where they were.

View attachment 229841

I gave this a go, and let it run for a decent chunk of time (maybe 10-15 seconds?) and I could hear the water. But the gauge didn't move.

I then turned it all back as I am used to that gauge instantly going up so didn't know the implications of me leaving it running for too long.

Thanks for the reply guys!

I gave this a go, and let it run for a decent chunk of time (maybe 10-15 seconds?) and I could hear the water. But the gauge didn't move.

I then turned it all back as I am used to that gauge instantly going up so didn't know the implications of me leaving it running for too long.
Hearing running water is normal. 10-15 seconds won’t be enough to pressurise a system from zero. Just keep running it and only one of two things can happen. Either the pressure will rise or you will see water coming out of the system somewhere. If the latter, you will need to fix that first. Let us know what happens out of the two.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd update as I had forgotten to the other week... Can confirm that the pressure went up to 1.

Is it working any better though? :)

My heating is a bit higher now so reaches over the amount I set it to (although maybe a coincidence of slightly better weather of late).

The underfloor heating is still pretty weak compared to when I checked the house out. But as someone mentioned its likely electric so I imagine it is a different issue.

The underfloor heating is still pretty weak compared to when I checked the house out. But as someone mentioned its likely electric so I imagine it is a different issue.

Some electric UFH is only meant to warm the floor, so that it is not cold to walk on with bare feet. So, unless you have a super insulated home this type is not really up to heating the room from scratch, and radiator is usually still required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back