Boulter 95/135 classic oil boiler - What am I missing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi have just serviced an old oil fired boulter classic 95/135 which has been out of use for some time - everything is up and running ok fires up etc etc but on replacing the front cover casing the boiler within a minute or so the flame fails, trys to relight and then lockout runs perfect without front cover - I know its an air problem but the boiler obviously worked at some time with the casing on, I opened up the air intake abit to see if it made a difference but to no avail ! the only thing I have noticed is that at the end of the low level flue outlet the sampling point plate has come away from the square housing that it sits in, I refitted it as it was laying in the bottom of the terminal guard! not too close to the outlet pipe of course but far enough in to serve its purpose. I'm not sure what to do here as I'm a bit flummoxed was putting the plate back the problem or am I missing something more basic?

Sponsored Links
The burner is recirculating it's flue gases. Not sure about your flue sampling point thing but something is happening to cause the burner to draw in it's own flue gas. Probably the seals gone in the flue or something to do with your sample plate. Stix.

Hi outinthestix thanks for your reply - yes thought so couldn't understand why the plate was loose any way didn't seem to have been spot welded in place anywhere so just put it back in as far as I thought - it has a small hole in it for sampling there's no where in the boiler to sample from this is the only place !

Sponsored Links
A high temp silicone sealant will work such as Dow Corning Plumba flue . Depending on what you are sealing fire cement might also work but does have a tendancy to crumble over time. Stix.

Hi outinthestix went back today and removed the plate that I carefully replaced in the end of the flue - fired the boiler replaced the cover and ...... everything ok :D so conclusion is 1. I dont know everything despite some very expensive training ! 2. is there old B/F's out there that have a removable sampling point plate that is only temporary ??? it would seem so.. because the boiler works much better with it laying in the bottom of the flue guard ! Well stix thank's for your advice and help I hope one day I will be able to give as good as advice as you have :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back