Boundary wall / Building face regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am buying a new build, the neighbouring property is being built very close, so the wall of the house is right on the boundary so is used as a fence. However, I have just noticed there is a window being built withing the neighbouring building face for an ensuite. This will open directly into my garden.

I was not made aware of this and am not sure where I stand - can I cover it with fencing? put a potted leylandi directly in front of this window for example?

ANy thoughts / help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it is an opening window? It will likely be frosted glass and it may be that only the top light opens to provide ventilation.

My understanding is that you can grow what you like in front of the window. But you are best to find out the details before you worry?

Thanks Geoff, it looks like it will be frosted, but a similar window in the show home en suite opens out on the full length and very wide. Its right above my patio, so I'm sure they should have explained this.

You need to check the plans for this specific house (don't base assumptions on the show home) - The plans should be on the council web site.

Sponsored Links
The plans should be on the council web site.

Don't bet on it.

New build housing hardly ever gets built according to any submitted plans - which invariably tend to be just indicative plans in the first place.

Buildings are built in completely different places and it's not uncommon for whole extra houses to crop up without buyers of neighbouring plus knowing.

And planners don't care nor will do anything about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back