Boundary wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an extension to price whereby the extension is to be constructed (single storie) right up against a six foot boundary wall , it is to be dashed to match existing but could not be got to between the two walls, as there would only be around a foot of space.
Is there any legislation regarding building within such close proximity can anyone advise, seem to remember some issues with regards to this but thought I would pick some brains first off.

Regards

Robbo.

Sponsored Links
There's a reg about fire resistance if within 1m of boundary. As your extension is a single storey there may be an issue if it had a flat roof so it may be worth checking that.

Rob
Did an extension close to a boundary wall a while ago and had to get the permission of the neighbour to take down the wall and rebuild it so the brickwork on the extension could be pointed obviously for weathering reasons, have also done an extension right on the boundary where next door extension formed the boundary and on this occasion had to fill the gap between the two with jablite and the seal the top with mastic and weather bbetweenthe two flat roofs.
On both occasions the neighbours were amicable and so no problems.
There is some provision in law regarding bounadries and access onto neighbours property to carry out essential maintainance to your property but don't know whether your situation would fall under this.
For example if your extension wall was falling apart you would have rights to take down the boundary wall to effect repairs to your wall, but as I say I don't know if the same applies to new build.

Cheers for your thoughts fellas. This is actually a boundary wall running around the perimeter of the garden as it is the last house in a row.
No mention was made by the architect as I asked, but would like to know for sure, better take a trip to the planning office in the morning.

Sponsored Links
Might be too late now as the drawing is done. Is it not better to have the extension wall on the boundary line and use this as a boundary wall by knocking it down ? Having said that I've not seen the drawing plan. If I remember rightly that you cannot have a window there less than 2m (?) between walls/boundary and if less than 2m then you have to use glass blocks which is fireproof. I have done my extension up to my neighbour wall with 150mm gap for air-flow, that was the building reg at the time.

Also instead of dashed wall maybe facing brickwork on side only which shouldn't need any maintenance long term.

As you say masona the drawings were allready done and permission passed before I got them, my concern was primarily that perhaps the boundary wall had been overlooked in some way and did not want any come backs at a later date.
The problem with taking down the boundary wall is the fact it is on an estate of houses with the same wall running throughout and this one is a corner property, as with the dash it would have to marry the house and all those surrounding. From the sound of things it will be nothing other than a bit of awkwardness...... will price the job and worry about that if it comes in. Cheers all

Regards

Robbo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back