Boundary Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a boundary wall which is adjacent to a public walkway at the front of my house. For over 20 years there has been a 5ft fence for the first 20ft of the front garden then a 6ft fence for the last 12ft of the garden leading up to the front door.
The guy that previously owned the property for 20yrs must of replaced at least 20 odd fence panels over the years due to vandalism. I moved into the property and spent £400 putting a new fence up. With 2 weeks the vandals had smashed about 8 large holes in it!!! So I decided to build a wall. I had a builder come over and the wall ran 4ft for the first 10ft 4ft 6" for the second 10ft and 5ft for the remaining 12ft leading to the front door. This bit now is why I'm asking for help on this site. Somebody has made a complaint about the wall and yesterday morning a planning officer arrived at my wall and told me that the wall can only be a maximum of 1m above my garden level due to it being a public highway I'm adjacent too. My question is if this is the case why did the previous owner or myself not get asked to reduce the height of the fence that was previously there and the replacement I have put up is lower than the previous boundary fence. But most importantly if I lower to 1m especially the 12ft leading to my front door it leaves the security and safety of my property in jeopardy. I'm happy to reduce the lower part of the boundary wall but not the wall by my house and front door. Do I have any rights around this?
All help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance. Jon

Sponsored Links
Pics or a plan would help. There are limits on boundary heights near roads for obvious reasons.

In some ways lowering the wall will improve your security. Very tricky to lurk inconspicuously behind a 1 metre wall, never mind hiding your struggling victim.

You can apply for planning permission using your concerns as mitigating factors to support your application.

What has gone on in the past is by-the-by. If you had left the fence, then it would have been allowed to stay and you could keep on repairing it or strenghtening it. Now you have removed the fence, then its as if there was nothing there and current planning regulations apply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back