Bowed Stringer (Can it be straightened)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Is it possible to straighten the stringer on our staircase? Its' out by about 10mm at its worst point, at the midpoint of the staircase. There is nothing structurally wrong (solid) but doesn't look good and we want to refurbish it as we redecorate.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-29 at 10.05.38.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-29 at 10.05.38.png
    563.3 KB · Views: 296
Sponsored Links
no, but you can fix a bit of ornamental trim to it to deceive the eye.

Nobody who comes to your house, except a carpenter, will notice it, and absolutely nobody will care.

the ply i assume to fill the open tread stairs to the back i assume where cut to a standard size and centered
orrr they where fitted tight and the string has bellied[bowed]out??
if you protect the string at the bow with a block off wood and tap with a hammer what happens ??

sevensixty, good evening.

As "big-all" above.

Am I correct is seeing light between the risers [both sides] and the two strings?

If so? as above, tap the string back so the tread re-seats in the rebate, and to keep it there run some liquid glue into the tread / string joints, BUT clean of any residue on the "visible" surface

Ken.

Sponsored Links
could be that the supporting wall "The Spandrel" having been removed has weakened the flight?
glue wont do anything for a flight of stairs, and all their vibrating traffic.
forcing the bowed string back into position, and fixing Ell brackets to the inside of both strings & the risers where they are screwed to the treads might help? ie two Ell brackets per riser/tread.

if this is a case of the string working its way out over time then who knows where it will stop?
if all else fails then screw the string back at each tread from the outside face of the string.

Just an idea for consideration...

If that wall to the right had side of the stair is an outside wall, I would be drilling a hole through that wall, through the right hand and the left hand stringers and fitting a threaded rod with nuts and washers, to pull that stringer back to where it belongs. If its recessed into to stringer and recessed into the face of the outside wall it would be invisible apart from the rod showing under the steps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back