bowing and hanging felt in loft revealing tiles

S

snadge

My dad has been looking at houses, old houses in countryside, one he fancies has roofing which is just some form of felt across beams with tiles on top, but the felt is all hanging down all over the place, its a slate roof.

its just normal sized roof, what sort of price should he expect for it to be put right - and any other info anyone might be able to supply about this sort of thing

many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Many older houses do not have any felt at all, if the tiles are sound there will be no ill effect. Felt is only there as a back-up should a tile slip or become dislodged. The only way felt can be replaced is with a re-roof. So unless the roof tiles are in a bad way generally and require replacements/maintenance then you would be entitled to sweet FA off the purchase price, maybe £500 as a token gesture in case there's ever a leak. Maybe.

thanks, he said the loft appeared dry and had no damp...

I forgot too say it was slate roof

im surprised that no rain gets in when its like that (inbetween slates or so)

just out of curiosity what kind of price range would a re-roof be?

Sponsored Links
is this right about roof not needing felt? doesnt sound right too me.. the felt is there to stop any water getting blown in and under the tiles isnt it?

Ooh Doubting Thomas eh!

Plenty of similar threads have gone before.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=73150#73150
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1536810#1536810
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1020109#1020109
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=388606#388606

The key to a non felt roof not leaking is the condition of the tiles. But if that were an issue then the expense of a re-roof ought to be negotiated on its own merit not because there is no felt or its in bits.

The tiles on your roof should be keeping the weather out - end of.

Why bother with tiles otherwise, may as well nail on some felt/membrane with a nice tile effect printed on it.

Felt was designed as an aid for roofers to be able to remove knackered roofing tiles without having to batten and re-tile the same day.

It is also mustard at keeping out wind blown crud.

The upshot is, if your roof leaks the tiles are to blame and should be fixed.

It does also keep the dust, dirt and grit out, and reduces heat loss (and ventilation) a bit. You will notice the difference in dirtiness between a felted and an unfelted loft.

Air tight roofing membranes are a kind of paradox in the sense they can make a roof space both healthy and unhealthy at the same time.

Good for keeping toxic rubbish out but also good at keeping moist unwanted air in.

Ho-Hum.

'Bout time they invented a breathable membr.....!

I'll get me coat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back