bowing roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at buying a house. Its a semi with a gable end, so the roof is 2 straight elevations.

On looking up at the roof, it appears to "sink" in the middle at the back. I didnt look closely at the front, but on the photo it also looks to be sinking too. I didnt get chance to look in the loft. But next doors roof is perfectly flat. The bowing is only maybe a couple of inches max.

Is it normal for a 100 yr old roof to bow in like this? The tiles are ridged. Next doors roof is flat and has had vents fitted (not sure why). But the tiles are the same vintage as ours.

All the top ridge tiles are level - there is no bowing at the top.

I also spotted that there is no flashing on "our" side of the chimney. Could there be flashing we cant see from the ground?

I will get a survey done. But just wondered if you guys had some input.

Picture of the front of the house.

Sponsored Links
There could be half a flashing :eek: I was told to do exactly that - way back when I was apprenticed.35 years later the pair of houses are still the same :LOL: :LOL: . One house done up..and if neighbour won`t pay they don`t get a flashing :rolleyes:

Called dishing. Not right but not uncommon, and rarely a big problem. Usually caused by re-covering the roof with heavier concrete tiles compared to what was on there when the roof was first built. Or (less likely) could be caused by having some of the loft timbers removed, which is bad obviously.

Can usually be 'fixed' with a few lengths of 4x2 in the right places, and some bolts.

Don't let it put you off but have a nose about in the loft when you are being shown around. A large clear loft space, or one that shows freshly cut timber ends may be a sign that stuffs been taken out.

Don't let it put you off but have a nose about in the loft when you are being shown around. A large clear loft space, or one that shows freshly cut timber ends may be a sign that stuffs been taken out.
Would I be wrong in expecting a large clear loft space in this house? I would think this house was built / re-roofed before the advent of prefab roof trusses. I would have expected to find main supports horizontally between the gables, halfway up each side and at the peak, and the roof built onto these. Am I wrong?

I feel a little more reassured now. I am going to make an offer less than the asking price (which has OIRO before it ;) ) to cover any remedial work needed which may crop up during the (mid-level) survey.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back