box cutting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is my first post here and i'm not entirely sure if this needs to be in the building section or electrics. Anyway, I attempted to cut the box holes for some new socketss the other day and all did not go to plan. It is a brick wall with approx 20mm of plaster covering it. I started to drill around the edge of the marked box to the correct depth (37mm ish) when all of a sudden the drill went straight through! i thought it must have been a join so i kept going. Anyway, i have since found out that the bricks have been layed frog down and obviously there is no mortar in the frog thus causing my drill to go straight through. I am just wondering what i should do now? The recess is still not deep enough (just short of 25mm) and i have another one to do on the same wall and some chasing. Any help greatly appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
You would have the same problem if the frog was at the top,depending where you drill. Cut your recess and fill any large holes with a bit of mortar and the bits of brick you have chopped out.

you are correct. it's just the fact there is no mortar in it that worried me. I'll go for it then and fill the hole with mortar. cheers :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back