Box for internal gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of updating the kitchen - mainly painting and changing flooring. Our oldaold gas meter is fitted in the little utility 'nook' adjacent to the kitchen.

After painting the tiles and tidying up the area it is really starting to stick out how ugly the meter is (see picture).

I can see gas meter boxes being sold online but cannot see how these could be fitted to an existing wall mounted meter with pipes coming out to the side.

Is there a safe / appropriate way of covering up / hiding an ugly gas meter? I'm not looking to do it myself but wouldn't want to call anyone out if nothing can be done.

Any advice highly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200518_152818.jpg
    20200518_152818.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 185
Sponsored Links
V tricky...Move it onto the floor might be a good start.Put some sort of unit in front of it with big hole cut out of back,,,,Obtain price for gas supplier fitting new supply in better position.gas safe engineers can move the meter,gas supplier can move the supply,before your gas safety valve.

Thanks for the comment. I take having it's location moved will not be a cheap affair just for the sake of aesthetics.

I've been thinking of getting an IKEA shelf to fit around it but wasn't sure if it was safe. Some sources say that there needs to be at least half a meter space around it.
Do you reckon it would be safe to have a shelf/cupboard around it?

Thanks for the comment. I take having it's location moved will not be a cheap affair just for the sake of aesthetics.

I've been thinking of getting an IKEA shelf to fit around it but wasn't sure if it was safe. Some sources say that there needs to be at least half a meter space around it.
Do you reckon it would be safe to have a shelf/cupboard around it?
Most of the time i find them in a cupboard with stuff piled on top...Supposed to be accessible...That can mean behind a washing machine...etc etc.Anywhere really as long as you can read it...And do not have electric cables near it

Sponsored Links
Just remember to leave plenty of access to the emergency control valve lever (ECV) too and that it can travel easily to each extent with a full hand on the lever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back