Box Knockouts - or not

BJC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a large deep aluminium box (194x194x 56) to flush mount some modular switches. The box is an MK 898ALM with 6 32 mm knockouts which don't knockout (unless I'm not hitting them hard enough). I presume there is a standard tool for knocking them out but I've no idea what. Any advice ?

Sponsored Links
BJC said:
I bought a large deep aluminium box (194x194x 56) to flush mount some modular switches. The box is an MK 898ALM with 6 32 mm knockouts which don't knockout (unless I'm not hitting them hard enough). I presume there is a standard tool for knocking them out but I've no idea what. Any advice ?

normally the knockouts are partially cut. some you have to hit hard to get them to give way. on some tho thee are marking where they should go and you have to use a holesaw to remove them. altho for the box you have they should just knock out

support the box on either side of the knockout with peices of wood and then hit it from inside with a nail punch until it gives way.

The "cutouts" look like inserts and look as though they should be hit on the inside. I tried a few wallaps using a nail punch but I was in danger of buckling the box. I looked at a slightly smaller box (bought in error) and this has the partially cut knockouts with a tab. The big box cutouts don't have a tab. Maybe I'm just being too gentle.

Sponsored Links
probablly the last metal mk box i did required a *lot* of force.

The larger MK boxes used on 6/8/9/12 etc grids, have 32mm knockouts that need removing by knocking from inside - no tips really - just bang them out ;)

Thanks chaps. I'll go armed with my mash hammer and a big pair of protective gloves. I'll let you kow how I get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back