socket faceplate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My young lad rammed a toy into the electrical socket in his bedroom, cracking the side. Read my DIY book, looked an easy replacement so bought a new faceplate. Its a double socket mounted on a flush metal back box.

Anyway found 6 wires, 2 red going in to L, 2 black going in to N and 2 green sleeved earth wires in to earth. No earth wire between box and faceplate (my book looks as though there should be.)

Problem was one of red wires is very short, live terminal on the old faceplate was on left and on the new one is on right if you see what I mean, therefore not enough wire to allow wiring of new plate.

Currently old one back on. Question is can you get faceplates with the live entry at the other side (I bought MK this time), or better still is this common (I imagine a longer terminal should be present, all the others are longer) and can I extend the live wire (I tried pulling on the cable to see if there was any slack but it didn't budge!)

Old one back on and socket not used at present. If you tell me I need an electrician fair enough (I imagined would be an easy straight swap!). Also I think I should fit an earth between faceplate and metal box - is this sold or do you pinch the earth wire from 2 core and earth and sleeve it appropriately?

Sponsored Links
Can you see any indication of a manufacturers name on the socket?

If not can you post a photo of the existing socket, and I'm sure someone will be able to identify it, and direct you to where you can buy an exact replacement. (click my signature to find out how to post a picture)

As for the earth link, it is not essential to fit one, but it is good practice.
You are fine to use the earth wire from some t&e sleeved with G&Y PVC sleeving.

Give GET a go for the live terminal on the left.

I hate GET as neither a pozi, flat or modulo will tighten as much as I'd like but there goes.

Thanks for help so far. Anyway 1st socket I bought wasn't an MK but a nexus (British General). Went back to focus and found that MK DO have the live on the left - great. Got home to find the neutral won't reach to the terminal on the other side of the MK socket!!

Sister has my digital camera so no pics yet but the old faceplate is a "volex". All 3 terminals are in the middle of the faceplate. Anyone have a volex faceplate to hand or know if the terminals are still all in the middle??

It's driving me to despair (is this a problem electricians often face - not much slack cable to enable wiring?) I presume normally you could pull the cable to release some slack?? I also assume you cant extend the wires (not that I'd do this myself) - what will an electrician do if I can't get a faceplate with terminals that I can reach with the wires?

Will an electrical merchants carry lots of different faceplates that I can look at or do they tend to stock one brand?

Loads of Qs...sorry, all help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
As clicksure said try GET they are same as alto ones from W/F
Newey and eyre may have the same or volex.
The terminals are near the middle on most of the cheaper sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back