New metal chrome socket not working, but plastic is

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has been recently updated with new wiring for additional power sockets.

I've been trying to install two new metal sockets in a particular room but they don't seem to be working. What can I be doing wrong?

1. I've installed a plastic faceplate and it works fine - but cannot figure out why the metal faceplate will not work. The faceplate is new and I've tried two different metal faceplates.
2. I've double checked wiring, two earths, one from the main wire going into back of metal faceplate, and then additional earth wire from back of metal faceplate to metal back box.
3. I've voltage tested to check it's getting power, - and the holding screws do have a current running through them.
4. However plugging in anything to faceplate - doesn't seem to power up.
5. The only thing I can think of is whether I need to fully screw in the faceplate to the back box to enable the socket to work. At the moment I haven't fully fixed down the faceplate to the back box.

Help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Don't turn the power on until this is resolved, as you ARE AT RISK OF THE METALWORK BECOMING LIVE AND KILLING SOMEONE.

WITH ALL THE POWER OFF, make sure you have the correct wires in the right terminals.

REMEMBER THE TERMINALS ARE LABELLED LIVE NEUTRAL EARTH.
----------------------------------------------------
REMEMBER THE LAYOUT OF THE TERMINALS WILL DEFINITELY VARY FROM ONE DESIGN OF SOCKET TO ANOTHER DESIGN OF SOCKET.

SO YOU MUST LOOK FOR THE MARKINGS ON THE TERMINALS, NOT JUST PUT THE WIRES IN WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE SAME POSITIONS.
----------------------------------------------------
RED OR BROWN LIVE
BLACK OR BLUE NEUTRAL
GREEN AND YELLOW EARTH.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND GETTING A PROFESSIONAL IN TO CARRY OUT THE WORK BEFORE YOU TURN ANY POWER ON.

I CAN'T SAY I LIKE WHAT I'M HEARING HERE, SO GET A PRO IN, IT SHOULDN'T COST MUCH.

Sorry to sound so patronising. It may well be you have done everything right. But from your description safety has to be the main factor here.

Sponsored Links
1. I've installed a plastic faceplate and it works fine - but cannot figure out why the metal faceplate will not work. The faceplate is new and I've tried two different metal faceplates.
Did you refit the metal ones after trying the plastic ones again! Or did you not retry the plastic ones, just went on that they worked prior to you fitting metallic ones?
2. I've double checked wiring, two earths, one from the main wire going into back of metal faceplate, and then additional earth wire from back of metal faceplate to metal back box.
What type of circuit is this? If it is not the end of a radial you will have junctions/joints within the fabric of the building somewhere or it is a spur, maybe a fused spur.
3. I've voltage tested to check it's getting power, - and the holding screws do have a current running through them.
What type of test instrument did you use, as you can only test if you have voltage between conductors by using an approved two pole voltage indicator, a neon screwdriver or voltage pen/stick are not suitable and unreliable!
4. However plugging in anything to faceplate - doesn't seem to power up.
That would suggest either what you are plugging in is faulty, the socket is faulty, the circuit is faulty, you have incorrectly installed the socket, or the circuit is isolated!
5. The only thing I can think of is whether I need to fully screw in the faceplate to the back box to enable the socket to work. At the moment I haven't fully fixed down the faceplate to the back box.
Would not be a factor.

You need to look at the terminal connections, make sure you are getting good contact of the bare ends within the terminals and have not trapped/nipped the insulation of the conductor up within it, thus preventing contact.

If you have used a screwdriver tester it will not check continuity so can not be relied on, they are unsafe, needs binning!
I suspect you either have trapped, loose or damaged neutral. If you are fitting metallic faceplates, it is important that you confirm you actually have a path back to the earth supply, this is by testing not a visual inspection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back