Metal clad or recessed sockets for garage?

Another option would be a simple piece of 2x3 behind the box, fixed into the concrete. Certainly I wouldn't try fixing the box into 12mm ply: The stuff is far to thin for a screw into the edge, and even if you managed it it'd tear right off if pushed. You'd also have problems getting conduit to the side entries on the box.

You could screw a 2x1" batten to the back of the ply either side of the cutout to give you plenty to fix your flush box to ;)

Theres no reason why you cant use dry lining boxes, or if you want to be really posh, use metal dry lining boxes :D

Sponsored Links
Another option would be a simple piece of 2x3 behind the box, fixed into the concrete. Certainly I wouldn't try fixing the box into 12mm ply: The stuff is far to thin for a screw into the edge, and even if you managed it it'd tear right off if pushed. You'd also have problems getting conduit to the side entries on the box.

You could screw a 2x1" batten to the back of the ply either side of the cutout to give you plenty to fix your flush box to ;)

Theres no reason why you cant use dry lining boxes, or if you want to be really posh, use metal dry lining boxes :D

Point, but at that stage I'd have just lumped a 2x3 in the back and have been done with it. ;)

Trouble with dry lining boxes would be the rear conduit entry. Putting the conduit that far back would require cutting a lot more insulation out, and all those extra tees seems a bit pointless.

I can't really get my head around the way this house is going to be constructed, so i'm just throwing some ideas about.:cool:

Sponsored Links
Rather than run the cables in conduit on the surface of the wall,
Why not?

I can easily run the cables in conduit in the polystyrene behind the plasterboard. (This is how it will be done in the rest of the house).
So why not do it in exactly the same way in the garage?

Why is your electrician struggling so much with all of this - did you choose one who doesn't know what he's doing?

Anyone got any ideas?
Get an electrician who knows what he's doing before it's too late...

Trouble with dry lining boxes would be the rear conduit entry. Putting the conduit that far back would require cutting a lot more insulation out, and all those extra tees seems a bit pointless.
I can easily run the cables in conduit in the polystyrene behind the plasterboard. (This is how it will be done in the rest of the house).

Which also has the same problem. Metal boxes on a bit of 2x3 beat dry lining boxes any day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back