Earth to garage?

If easier follow the surface pyro from board to first point and disc onnect any ongoing wires there( mark the live with tape !) , you may be able to get circuit clear up to the first point then,which will help

have you a photo of the box above the board with the lid off,where do the pyros from that branch off to

if poss can you do a diagram , and photo it, of where all the pyros go from the board, so we can see what you have
Will try, TBH I think I have done all I can do now, feel a little out of my depth now. Think I need a sparky now

Sponsored Links
Could it be that the broken sleeving on a neutral conductor inside a backbox or even the fusebox is touching the metal enclosure causing a N+E fault making the RCD trip ?
Id advise buying a plug in socket tester too they cost about 10 quid and well worth it, Will tell you if the sockets are wired right and give some indication of a CPC.

Good them little socket testers, always got one in my bag. But no indication of N-E reversal (allbeit less likely with MICC, but you never know!)

Sponsored Links
An earth lug/post?

I think you misinterpret D5.

"Where the earth-continuity conductor is formed by...the metal sheath, the earthing terminal of each socket outlet shall be connected...to an earthing terminal...in the associated box.

So, according to D5, you only need connect the s/o earth terminal to the box terminal.

An earth lug/post?

I think you misinterpret D5.

"Where the earth-continuity conductor is formed by...the metal sheath, the earthing terminal of each socket outlet shall be connected...to an earthing terminal...in the associated box.

So, according to D5, you only need connect the s/o earth terminal to the box terminal.
Agreed maybe I phrased it wrong sorry
so how would you fit that connecting link, to conform, if there is no earthing term in the backbox

In them early boxes there was no earthing terminal,

The earth lug/post/pillar? was a seperate item in the mk cataloque, you put it in the box yourself and tightened from the rear,before fixing the box, it was the proper way to connect the link, to conform to D5, for micc supplys

As said in the early post this was not done , hence maybe not as good work as it first appeared, to which RF said it was normal practise then not to do it,which no disrespect to RF I was doubtfull about,as it is quite an old reg
my theory was if the socket had an earth terminal then the installer should have made an effort to link to the box

As you rightly say the link in them days green was only required from s/o term to the box term, which if not there was (fitted by yourselves)

The same lug/ post was also used for you to earth the mk grid switch Yokes/grids, which also at first had no terminal fitted.

There are many of them old m/clad sockets found with the earth wrapped round a black jap fixing screw because they did not fit the lugs

The lugs were in the mk book right until the new K range come out and may still be available

You don't need that lot!!

Just fit an accessory screw and washer to an unused (vertical plane) lug and fit the earth link to that....done & dusted.

brass lugs/posts/pillars/terminals

I think I've got a few somewhere

The trouble is, you don't know where and you'll get knocked from pillar to post trying to find them... ;)

The trouble is, you don't know where and you'll get knocked from pillar to post trying to find them... ;)
Was only pointing out that it had not been done When it Was installed, it may have been in the regs even then

Was Not saying he had to try and get them and fit them now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back