Renewing wiring in the Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advise appreciated.

I have an existing power supply in my garage that was installed at the time the house was built (1939) there are two individual wires that come into CU in the garage (1 Black x 1Red) the earth comes off the metal couduit that runs under ground from the house.

The wiring from the CU to the lighting and socket in the garage is awful and needs to be ripped out, I have a new CU for the garage and was going to run some plastic conduit around for the new sockets and lighting, would it be better to run individual cables in the conduit or T&E.

Sponsored Links
For a garage I would run the cables in conduit to provide protection.
Dont forget to RCD protect those sockets in the garage.
Before going too far i would suggest that you get the supply run from the house tested for insulation resistance and to ensure that the earth is still intact and that Zs is within limits. You do not say how the conduit is run (underground?) but 70 years is a log time for conduit and for any wiring wherever and however it has been run.

Thanks for the reply.

The conduit runs underground in it's own brick built gully, and the earth is good. The new CU has an RCD built in along with the other two breakers, which I presume is one for lighting and one for sockets.

I was just unsure if I should use T&E or run individual cables in the conduit, also as I intend to fit about 4 or 5 double socket would I be better off wiring them in a ring ?.

How are you maintaining the earth continuity from the metal conduit to the the new CU which i assume is plastic? Was your old CU metal?

Also as has been suggested it is advisable to get the old supply cables tested to make sure they are still safe to use, what size are the cables in the conduit?

Sponsored Links
Hey this site is great you guy's sure don't hang a round.

The new CU is plastic as was the old one, the metal conduit was connected to the eath term in the old CU by an earth cable connected to an earth strap on to the conduit, it's the same sort of arrangement at the other end in the house.

A local sparks did a megga test on it and said it was fine ?.

The cables in the conduit look as if they have been replaced as they are in very good condition, not sure as to the size but the look to be about 3 to 4mm in diameter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back