Boxing in a steel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new 'I' section steel I need to box in with plasterboard and am trying to workout the best way to do it.

Above the steel is a wooden wall plate which leaves around a 1" ledge of 'steel' along the length on both sides. My plan is to place battens along the wall plate which will bring them just over the upper web of the steel. Then run shorter lengths of batten vertically down. This would give fixing for the plasterboard on the sides but not sure what to do underneath. I understand you are supposed to put 2 thicknesses of board for fire protection. My builder suggested grip-filling to lower web but says you're not supposed to and I'm not keen on this as I don't rate grip fill as much as some people any way and want to do the job properly. Do I basically make a full 'band' of batten around the steel?

Sponsored Links
Make two ladder frames and fix these either side of the steel

same as. two frames nail gunned up. job done. 1 12.5mm fire check plaster board and skim will do the job.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back