Boxing-in cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of carrying out a loft conversion and have found that I have very limited space to box in a multitude of cables that are running the length of the loft. At the moment the cables are just lying in between the rafters under the loft insulation right next to a wall. There is just about enough slack to move them but it means that I will heave to have 'tie' them all together. There are 2 x 1.0mm T&E, 1 x 6mm T&E, 2 x co-ax cables and 2 x 2.5mm T&E cables which I intend to somehow box in behind plasterboard. My question is: is it acceptable to run all these cables together whether it is in some sort of trunking or by bunching them together and somehow 'squeezing' them into the limited space that I've got?

Sponsored Links
Cable grouping does effect the current capacity of cable also if they are in a confined space where heat can gather. Never put data cables i.e tv cable with 230V cables this will effect them unless they have 230V rated insulation ( Prob Not)

You can buy trunking with compartments in them to separate these cables but make sure that when you enclose them that heat can be dispersed. Also try and avoid placing the cables near heavy amounts of roof insulation.

My advise is that if your not sure about the area call an electrician to see if he can route the cables any better. :)

Just getting the cables out from under that insulation will increase the cable's current carrying capacity much more than any subsequent grouping would decrease it!

PompeySparks said:
Just getting the cables out from under that insulation will increase the cable's current carrying capacity much more than any subsequent grouping would decrease it!

true, but what if they were never derated in the first place

Sponsored Links
Even if the cables are not already de-rated due to proximity of loft insulation, then (in my opinion) the added mechanical protection given by new trunking is a worthwhile trade-off for the de-rating caused by grouping them inside of it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back