Boxing in pipes in a kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am completely renovating my kitchen and could do with some advise on which wood to use to box in the waste pipe that is situated in the corner of my kitchen. Previous occupants used some really thin board to bos them in previously but I'd now like to do a good job. The boarding will have to encase pipes but also have pipes fed into it for the waste for the washing machine and sink. What I don't want to is to put crap wood round it, it get at all damp and be next door to useless. It will need to be minimum 10mm thick I approximate and will need to be able to have tiles mounted on it at worktop level.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Consider using 12mm birch faced ply, which will require minimal finishing. Fix a timber bearer to the edge that will butt up against the wall, with holes drilled to accept the securing screws. You will need 2 strips of ply and 2 bearers, naturally.
You'll find the corners of the formed box will happily accept a screw of 3 - 3.5mm when you fix the corners together.
Just one way of doing it!
John :)

could you not make it out of end panel so it will match your kitchen,done this a few times.

Sponsored Links
could you not make it out of end panel so it will match your kitchen,done this a few times.

It's a thought but the end panels are not cheap! We'll see whats left over. I'm not keen on the MDF ideas as it suffers water damage too easily. The birch ply and other idea plasterboard kind of appeals.

Plasterboard is far more flimsey when wet than mdf, it is after all a kitchen not a swimming pool, how much water do you throw around.?

I've still not done this job and have had a few more people advise. Someone suggested a sheet of mdf and then plasterboard fixed to the front and plastered.

I am going to use a cabinet to secure one side of the boxing and then batten the other side.

CAn I get away with just plasterboard or is it best to put a sheet of mdf up first.

You don't need MDF. The standard method of boxing pipes is to frame out using something like 40 x 12mm sawn, screw fix 12.5mm plasterboard, attach corner beads where required & skim; or if your tiling tile straight onto the PB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back