simple pipe boxing in in a kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am currently having my kitchen fitted and will have some pipes left on view that run vertically down the walls and behind the worktop.
I would like to get some views on the easiest way to box these in (materials, thickness, fixing type etc). This must be a common problem!

Two sets of pipes -
1) 2x 15mm copper pipes for the water supply. These are in a corner that are partly obscured by wall cupboard and counter top/base units.
2) 2 x 22mm copper pipes (CH and gas), that run down the middle of a wall.

Tiling will be done to the height of the wall units and painted above this line.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ideally you plan to avoid these problems , do the 22mmm run up to a boiler or full lheight?[if full height think about relocating.
Here I used worktop to hide pipes and infill panels at upper cupboards, you could use a simple mdf box [tiled] to hide and infill panels higher up in the corner.

Cheers for the reply foxhole.

A couple of pics to help -

The 22mm pipes are probably the most unsightly, but as one of them was gas, I chose to leave that pair.

For where I am now, looking for advice on best materials, thickness etc to box them with.

Would go with 18mdf,[no framework needed] the 22mm pipe, I would bring forward the boxing and run it full depth back to wall so cup'd sits next to a 'false wall'.
You would need to relocate socket to the right or move it into the Boxing.

Sponsored Links
For the corner one just fix a piece of 9mm ply across the corner at 45% with building adhesive, plan it so it will be a tile wide then just tile over the lower and paint the piece above the units. Hopefully here is a picture one I made earlier as Blue Peter would say!

The pipe in the pictures is gas so I allowed ventilation under the units and a couple of vent holes just above the cupboard out of the sight line to give required ventilation.

Ok I know it was overkill but I also screwed a metal plate (a bit of the old boiler side case trim) to the back of the ply to give some protection against somebody screwing a cup hook or similar straight through and into the gas pipe. They have got to be pretty thick to keep on drilling once they hit metal!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back