bq tools performance power, macallister

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are bq tools anygood macallister and performance powertools ?

Sponsored Links
as studips says they are probably only designed for light use, ie the motor might burn out if used for 40 minutes continuously.

I adhere to the "buy the best you can afford" maxim

Sponsored Links
They vary a lot. I've used a Performance cicular saw that was just downright dangerous but the £16 Performance drill/driver I bought from them 7 years ago has outlasted my bosch one and is still going strong.

You pays your money and you take your chances though.

iep

They vary a lot. I've used a Performance cicular saw that was just downright dangerous but the £16 Performance drill/driver I bought from them 7 years ago has outlasted my bosch one and is still going strong.

You pays your money and you take your chances though.

iep
What was dangerous about the circular saw?

Basically the guard kept sticking. Besides that though it was very difficult to set up to get a decent 90 degree cut and the base was buckled so the saw rocked as you fed it along the cut.

Maybe some examples are better but I returned it to the guy I'd borrowed it from and saved up and bought a light ryobi that has been great (and is actually cheaper than the macallister ones).

iep

I've got a macallister circular saw that I use occasionally and it's fine, good power per £pound, three year warranty when I bought mine too

I still have 2 of the original "performance power" 18v cordless drills...

- they are still in fine fettle having done a lot of work and suffered alot of abuse, the batterys dont hold as much charge as they used to and one of the chargers is kaput. Overall they still are brilliant tools! :LOL:

More recently I bought an 18v macallister hammer drill/driver. I have treated it really carefully,but have been disapointed with the fact that it has decided to stick permanantly on hammer :cry:

I have also purchased a macallister double bevel sliding mitre saw (the biggest one) - so far so good it will easily cut 14 inch and possible with care bigger. It was set up pretty accurately (apart from the laser which i dont bother with). I have not used it too much yet, but have compared it with a similar sized dewalt, the guy who owned the dewalt seemed quite impressed. I suspect it may not be suitable for daily trade use, but then again i needed one this big and compared with hiring charges I now have a free saw which still works.

So over the last 15 years I would say that I have 3 good and one poor experience of these tools

Overall I do not think anyone makes "long lasting" tools anymore, By the way "big-all" is correct I also have a Ryobi oneplus, which I have owned for about 2 or 3 months it is superb and the batteries seem to go for ever between charges and at trade point prices it was actually cheaper than the macallister (the one stuck on hammer) it even came with a free cordless driver, only downside was no box but they are cheap enough

Overall I do not think anyone makes "long lasting" tools anymore,
Festool do but then thay ain't cheap.

The only tool that I have had to replace was my RO150 random orbital.

The gears wore down and I will replace them one day but I love my new rotex too much to fix the old one.

7 years of nearly daily use/abuse at £450. Well designed and a dream to use.

I also like the fact that they guarantee to make the spares available for at least 10 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back