Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, VW have recommended a replacement of my rear off-site brake disk due to scoring (See image.) There are no apparent problems with the car when driving it. The car has only done 16,000 miles. The vehicle is on PCP, I will be changing the vehicle in another 2 years.

Am I ok to leave this?
With the scoring even out as the pad wears it further, if so approx how many miles?

VW Tiguan R-line diesel150PS 67plate

Image is of rear offside disk.

Thank you all for helping :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190513-224811.jpg
    Screenshot_20190513-224811.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 1,254
Sponsored Links
On an mot, I think that would fail as it appears 'significantly and obviously worn' so just imagine what that’s going to be like in another two years time. If it was mine, I’d want it replaced under warranty as it looks like there is something wrong there - possibly a sticking piston or slide.

Personally, I'd be very surprised if the other side isn't in a similar condition.....you can't see the back face of the disc either!
Very common, this, and its only on higher mileage vehicles that the discs fare better as they are doing more work.
Standard VW discs* aren't any better than any other make in this respect, and yearly dismantling / cleaning and lubricating is vital to keep them sweet.

* The exception being the vented rear disc systems - they do fare better.
John :)

Thank you all that's very helpful! I will contact VW about the warentee. This just leaves me with a few things to consider which you might be able to advise me on:

1. As it was only an amber warning, why should I replace them at all? I don't notice a problem with breaking. There is obviously pressure from VW for me to do it as it stops them having to do it when I return the vehicle.

2. Won't further wear of the non-scorn section of the disk result in this 'leveling out'? - something I read about online.

Thanks all

Chris

Sponsored Links
Thank you all that's very helpful! I will contact VW about the warentee. This just leaves me with a few things to consider which you might be able to advise me on:

1. As it was only an amber warning, why should I replace them at all? I don't notice a problem with breaking. There is obviously pressure from VW for me to do it as it stops them having to do it when I return the vehicle.

2. Won't further wear of the non-scorn section of the disk result in this 'leveling out'? - something I read about online.

Thanks all

Chris

I wonder if you will be saying that when you are heading for a brick wall or a tree when your brakes have failed. Yes it is bad scoring that, quite possibly, shouldn't have happened just yet. But it has happened and anyone who ignores any warnings about brakes, well you get my drift.

Get them sorted and shout at the dealer or VW afterwards.

You could potentially have the discs skimmed rather than replaced as the mileage on the car is so low, but that may be a false economy.

What happens when the disc starts to corrode like that is that the rust on the disc scours the pad away before the pad can clean up the disc. The rust will just spread and you'll end up with a smaller and smaller brake pad contact area. The discs aren't actually scored. The shiny areas area where the pad is in contact with the disc as it should be, the rusty areas are where the pad has been worn away by the rust so isn't contact the disc.

You could make it a lot better by going out and hammering the brakes. It may clean up, but probably not.

It should be a warranty claim though as the car is still within the 3 year warranty period and its not a wear issue.

Good call, Mr. L (y) thats exactly what happens. I doubt if a warranty claim will be met, but you never know!
Im doing this very job on a 67 plate MX5 tomorrow......owner washes the car, lets it stand for a week and the discs rust.
John :)

Back