Brake Fluid Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Forgive me the fact that this question relates to a motorbike, also for sounding dim. I'm sure everyone will read this and laugh, but the humiliation will be worth it if I can get the damn brakes working!
Basically, I've fitted a set of goodridge brake hoses to replace what I think were still the originals (On a 10 year old bike!). I drained all the fluid off first, swapped the hoses and am now stuck trying to re-fill the lines with fluid.
As far as I can tell, if I fill the reservoir, loosen the bleed nipple (with a bit of hose running into a jar) and then pump the lever, the system should refill itself. Or am I being too simplistic?
I've done the above to no avail. The lever just comes all the way back to the bar and doesn't feel like it's pumping anything. Have I missed a crucial, easy step?
For the record, I've checked that everything is tight and can't see anything obvious.
Any help massively appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Hiya,

It sounds like the system is air-locked, there are a couple of tricks, one is to use a vacuum brake bleeder, this attaches to the bleed nipple and sucks the new fluid out of the res and into the hoses/calipers.

The othe way is to use a syringe and a piece of tube to pump fluid into the system through the bleed nipples, once you have refilled the system this way you will need to bleed the system to acheive the best results.

Also have a look here for more info:-

http://www.ukbikeforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?act=idx

Nick.

you open the bleed valve just a bit, squeeze the lever, tighten the valve, release the lever. Otherwise it sucks air in through the bleed valve when you release the lever. Even if you have a one-way device, air gets in round the threads of the valve pin.

On a bike, air bubbles sometimes rise out overnight if you leave the 'bars so the brake lever is high, and tape the lever to the bars so the valve is open. Put the lid on to keep dirt out.

Thanks guys, the airlocked advice was spot on. Brakes are now fully functioning and feeling crisp!
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Make sure you bleed them again after a few miles - there's always a few air bubbles you dont get first time.

Back