New Brake fluid - Fiesta

C

Coniferman

M reg Fiesta. Been told the brake fluid could do with changing some time soon but not urgent. Is this an easy diy job? Don't mind paying the garage to do it but now the car is getting old would quite like to have a go at some easy jobs.

Whilst I am at it last years mot gave an advisory about near+off rear brake hose slightly deteriorated, although it did not get a mention this year. Is this worth doing at the same time or is this more difficult. I guess I need to get underneath the car for this which is not an option !!?

Sponsored Links
Coniferman,

Brake fluid absorbs moisture and should be checked/changed about every 2 to 3 years, a garage can check the water content and advise.

If you only have little knowledge of working on cars I think you should entrust the work to a garage, after all your brakes are your lifeline. First ask them to check what you think needs doing then ask for a price, try a couple of garages before you decide.

;)

Brake fluids (except the synthetic type) are hydroscopic, ie, they attract water. This small amount of water, in the fluid, vapourises under the heat of heavy braking and the brakes will feel spongy, especially if a vehicle of this age still has it's original fluid. Your tester's or garage's advice makes good sense. A complete brake fluid change is quite easy to do but, if you are unfamiliar with the procedure, it might be best to let the garage do it, especially if they have an automatic brake bleeding kit. If you did do the job yourself, that is the time to replace the faulty brake hose but, yes, you do have to get under the vehicle to carry out this work.

I mentoned this at the tyre and brake shop, they did me a bleed and refill with some kind of pressurising device, only took 10 mins or so and cost not many £££s

Doing it myself would have taken ages.

Booking it into the garage would have taken half a day.

They would do the hose very quickly too. Doing it yourself will mean you have to do a lot of bleeding afterwards.

Changing pads yourself is a very easy DIY job, though.

Sponsored Links
Brake fluid is actually hyGroscopic not hydroscopic.
Hygroscopy means that it can attract water from it's surroundings. It's the glycol in the fluid that gives it this ability.
DOT5 fluid doesn't attract water so, I'd replace the old fluid with that if i was renewing it. DOT5 isn't corrosive to paint either.

ok sounds like a job to leave alone. Thanks for that. (Thought it might have been just drain and refill but obviously not) I'm low mileage so should be fine for a while. Garage said would only be an issue if I started driving up and down mountains!

Only problem I have so far is first thing in the day the brakes can be a little "harsh" and easy to lock-up. After that they are fine. I think it was since they replaced the pads. A couple of quick pumps seems to sort them out. Don't think this is related to the fluid?? (maybe just non-OEM pads??)

First thing in the morning the disks will be rusty (have a look).

the first time you apply your brakes the pads will hit this with a lot of friction as they rub it off.

If you hold your foot lightly on the brake pedal for a moment you can clean the rust off.

It won't be the fluid.

Coniferman, the phenomenon you are experiencing is called "early morning sharpness" this usually goes away after a few pedal applications and is nothing to worry about.

Sponsored Links
Back