HELP!! I've put brake fluid in my coolant reservoir!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've put brake fluid in my coolant reservoir...what do i do?? The thing is i did this about a month ago and only realised today when i was looking through a car book.

Will this cause major problems and why hasn't anything happened since i did this a month ago?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you've only put a little in it won't cause any major damage. Just flush the system and re-fill with the appropriate mix of water and anti-freeze.

Sponsored Links
You could always connect the master cylinder and servo up to the cooling system, and put the antifreeze into the master cylinder.

never having tried it myself but logically the brake fluid is an oil so it should float on water.
if you can see it sitting on the surface when the coolant is cold just keep adding coolant until it overflows and pushes it out the top of the bottle. then use a clean rag to drain it back to the correct level. (soak & wring - low tech but it works)

don't forget to wash the brake fluid off the inner wing panels otherwise it'll b*gger the paint unless your using silicon brake fluid.

Best thing would be to drain the rad and flush it through with fresh water a few times, running the engine to circulate it when full, then refill with new antifreeze.

I don't know if the brake fluid will damage seals; but I wouldn't be surprised.

Actually, and old tip is to put just a drop of brake fluid in your coolant deliberatly, as it can help lubricate and quieten the coolant pump.

I doubt you could get away with doing that in a modern engine, though.

Sponsored Links
Back