Empty coolant reservoir - help!!

Hi you could go to halfords or prob best go to main dealer the price difference wont be a great deal but quality will.Just make sure you bleed the coolant system before driving make sure fan cuts in

Sponsored Links
Hi can someone have a quick look at the photo I uploaded and advise as to the best way to remove the hose clips - I just don't want to damage the hoses!

If it's the type of clip with two ears on it(hard to see from your pic), get a pair of plumbers grips on it the squeeze the ears together and slide it back down the hose.
Moll grips also work pretty well and you can lock them off to hold the clip open

Sponsored Links
but buy yourself a pair of Jubilee clips (preferably stainless) for reassembly, they are a hundred times better

I flushed the old coolant out and took out the expansion tank and gave it a good clean - the system was filthy though and it was impossible to get all the rust and deposits out even after several flushes. Anyway got new coolant in it now and replaced + sealed the thermostat gasket so stopped the leakage.

However the electric cooling fan doesn't seem to work even after leaving the car running for 15 minutes or after a long journey. I'm a bit worried about this. I don't know if it was working before or maybe if a fuse or some water got in a connection when I was draining the coolant. Any advice?

Is there an easy way to check that the fan works? I've heard of touching two wires together with the power on. Any good?

There should be a coolant temp sensor on the radiator. Unplug it and join the connections, that should put the fan on.

they do run damn hot those cars.
not sure about that model, but if there is not a fan switch on the rad, it uses the coolant temp sender on the underside of the inlet manifold. A pig, but not impossible, to change

Hi I've been away for a few weeks but the day I left I noticed a pool of water under the car when I left work and it seems coolant is again leaking from the thermostat housing again. I'm going to either take it to a garage to get it sorted or try and do it myself when I get back depending on how much water has leaked out. If I do it myself I'll try and get hold of the right size gasket and stick a new thermostat in there too. Is it ok just to use the gasket and cover it with gasket sealant after cleaning up the two faces? (i.e. no sealing ring) or is anything else required? I tried putting plumbers putty around the edge but that seems to have succumb to the movement and temperature cycling and broken up. And what would be the best gasket seal to use, anyone got any recommendations?

Get a new seal, almost any motor factors place will have one, even Halfords.
Even getting a new thermostat will not break the bank, they are only about £7 & that may have cause the leak so best to replace it while you have it open.

With the engine cold, undo the hose clips (in fact you may not need to remove them if you can still get at the screws).

Undo the screws holding the top of the thermostat housing on, water may pour out. Take note of how the thermostat sits in the housing, perhaps take a photo with a digital camera so you can refer to it later.

Wipe it all down with a cloth to dry the area, if the old seal has disintegrated and stuck to the housing/body clean it off with a penknife, taking care not o scratch the metal, finally clean it with wire wool wiping around the rim (not inside to outside or outside to in) and wipe over with a cloth.

Fit the new thermostat & cardboard gasket, you should not need any further sealant, refit the lid and screw down again.

Refill the expansion bottle with water, run the engine for 15 mins, check the water bottle as you may have to put more in when the thermostat opened & took the water in. only refill the water bottle when the engine has cooled down, put a cloth over the lid when opening - beware of steam.

Save yourself a £30+ bill, DIY :D

OK will do am getting the right gasket from ford. Which gasket sealant on the halfords website would be best to smear a little on, one of the loctite flexible temp resistant silicon ones? Just want to make sure cheers

Just got a £7 thermostat, 91C/195F 'First Line' thermostat. Is this temperature rating ok to use and will the lack of the two holes in the stat be an issue with air locks or not? Would anyone bother using a little sealant?

Is a 195F thermostat recommended for my car? And it also came with a rubber ring/seal but I remember last time I saw the thermostat I've got in now that there was no seal on it. Is it required and does it just sit on top of the thermostat when it's sat in the housing? Should I bother with it or just leave it off?

Sponsored Links
Back